Hardware damaged again.

Hello,

It seems the hardware of my pc is damaged again.

Probably the motherboard.

Sometimes the system crashes during a game.

I cleaned the pc hoping that it would solve the problem but nope.

There are some other symptoms:

  1. Memory corruption/crashes.

  1. The time runs a few seconds faster and then stops and then continues again in xp 64.

  2. The time skips a second in memtest.

Possible causes for damaged hardware:

  1. Overheat in summer.

  1. Short-circuit because of plastic stickers patching wholes which came loose.

  2. Lightning strikes.

  1. Maybe power surges because of stuck power button or switching on/off surround sound set.

  2. Maybe just bad hardware not ment for heavy use, who knows ;)

Anyway another dead motherboard is scarey... it's not dead yet...

But it's definetly time to eradicate possiblity number one.

So today or tomorrow I will go or phone to local pc shop to see if they have any good 90 mm rearcase fans... to increase airflow in pc casing.

I like the beautifull graphics in cod4... but I would like to have a quiet/cool system in the future.

And the chances are pretty high that my future pc will be a cool pc and a noiseless pc.. which will hopefully last as long as the 386's and 486's pc did ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying
  1. Maybe one last possibility... interference from gsm's...

It does happen sometimes... who knows what effect it could have...

Those gsm's pretty powerfull.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Take it out back, shoot it with a shotgun. Don't get another one. You will be happier.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

Howdy

Again? Lighning never strikes twice in the same place. My guess is that you have a karma problem. Have you done any good deeds lately?

The first step to solving a problem is to blame something. Blaming the motherboard is a good first guess.

Turn off the TV while using the computer. The games shows are distracting.

Let the PC dry off before applying power.

If you can't remember what happened, it's called amnesia. However, don't worry. Your memory will return when you hear the repair cost estimate.

You may have a black hole inside your PC. Time dilation is theoretically possible in the presence of large gravitational fields. It may have entered your PC via a worm hole. Look for worms coming out of holes in the case.

Easy. Don't run memtest and it won't skip a second.

Hyperthermia can be serious. Turn on the air conditioner. That should reduce your halucinations and visions of worms crawling out of the PC.

The stickers are to plug the worm holes in the case that keep the worms inside. Short circuiting a worm hole is bad because it will affect the CPU look ahead caching register, which predicts results before the calculation is setup. This is a relativistic computing enhancement that is easily corrupted by customer coherence problems.

Do not cross the picket line. Lightning has been know to get mean and violent to strike breakers.

These are seperate issues. Sticky power buttons are usually found arount 2 year olds with sticky paws. Clean off the food residue and the power button will resume normal operations.

Surround sound is a symptom of paranoia. If you feel yourself surrounded by anything, you potentially have a serious case. Paranoia is easily cured by a concienciously applied program of professional psychological care.

That depends on the type of PC. Some types are light weight and not made to be taken seriously. Others will do heavy metal and require a substantial power supply and cooling system. Crossing over between types is generally possible, but not very economical or practical.

If it's still alive and moving, a silver stake through the heart has been known to stop the living dead.

Yep. It's an election year. Number one isn't running.

Be sure to calculate the weights and balances. The FAA does not appreciate airborne computer cases.

I thought you wanted it now. There are vendors that supply computer cases with beautiful graphics. I like the military camouflage look for the 16 year old. European users seem to prefer brightly colored cases. Some are nothing more than wall paper stuck onto the case. If you go this route, make sure cod4 or your hired artist doesn't plug the worm holes.

Yep. The higher they fly, the harder they crash. Have you considered that a simpler machine might be more reliable? If you're planning on long life, you might consider one of the Unix/Linux based PC's. I've still got systems running up to 15 year old operating systems.

Ummm... That's Buy.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

You'd trust this nitwit with a firearm??? ahahahahahahahahaha!

Reply to
daytripper
  1. I also noticed how the heatsinks of the graphic cards were full with dust and fluffy stuff. Also the cpu had quite some fluffy stuff on it.

Maybe all this fluffy stuff raised the temperature and could have accelerated the overheating process...

So increasing airflow in cases could actually cause another problem:

More dust and fluffy stuff onto heatsinks...

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Skybuck has long been in my killfile for numerous crimes against Usenet and humanity.....please don't quote his entire moronic rant if you feel the need to feed the troll.

Reply to
Augustus

I have seen at least half a dozen case of "repeated mystery motherboard damage" go away forever when the user followed my advice and bought a new power supply from PC Power and Cooling plus Surge Suppressors that protects *all* wires to the PC -- Ethernet, Modem, AC power, etc. from Tripp Lite.

Guy Macon  Guy Macon
Guy Macon  Guy Macon
Guy Macon  Guy Macon
Guy Macon  Guy Macon
Reply to
Guy Macon

The fluffy stuff are probably bird feathers as found in a pillow. Do not take the computer to bed. Do not place the fan in a position where it will shred the pillow.

Dust is a different problem. I don't think it's cureable. Just open the case and hit it with a compressed air blast to clean out the dust. Ummm.... do it outside.

Yeah. Too big a fan will suck in more feathers from the pillow. Perhaps some screening will help.

It's "Buy" as in spend, spend, spend...

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Sure! There is an ocean between me and him. With any luck, he would blow his fool head off with the first shot.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth\'s aluminum foil beanie for the \'global warming\'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Here is a nice link with lots of galleries/images of cases full with stuff/"rigs":

Maybe I can find something nice in there the coming days...

Looking at all this stuff takes lots of time.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Prove it

So what what does eventviewer say? was the cauase of the crash?

Reply to
Craig Sutton

Yes I need something like this:

A zone specially focused on "sli rigs":

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Hmmm surprisingly the antec 900, with it's tiny space-issue's is dual sli certified.

Even nvidia's sli-zone can't be trusted ;)

Buyer beware ;) that's me ! OH MY GOD.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Memtest first try hang at 9:52 a very simply program on a boot disk.

Memtest second try proceeded by weird seconds ticking by.

I guess because the pc was warmed up that it functioned better... so I decided to boot into windows and continue without playing games etc... so far I have been running multiple hours and no crash so far.

Even boots failed multiple times already, usb controller not detecting stuff.

pci.sys errors...

memory corruption error.

pfn_list corrupt errors..

time seconds ticking away weird...

Sound oddness during crash.

These are signs of hardware failure me thinks.

The following happened as well:

Suddenly slow frame rate in call of duty for a minute, followed by a hang/freeze.

All kinds of bullshit.

Forget about event viewer it won't tell you much... it's just bullshit.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

But most likely the idiot user.

--
SteveH
Reply to

So did you do the obvious and replace the ram?

oh and isn't it time for Moronbucks2009 dream pc?

Reply to
Craig Sutton

No because on the second run the ram was fine.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Or a sign of things to come.

The heat problem is getting pretty real =D

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Measure all the voltages with a digital multimeter, including the CPU, PCI-E, AGP, and memory bus voltages. Don't rely on software readings. Those last four readings require finding where they can be taken, but the CPU voltage is on some of the pins of the transistors near the CPU, while the other voltages are near their respective sockets. Also look for electrolytic capacitors (plastic-wrapped cylinders) that are bulging, which can cause the ripple voltage (AC) to go way up and lead to instability.

Run several different memory diagnostics, each overnight: MemTest86, MemTest+, and Gold Memory. Unless your memory modules Stop any overclocking until you fix the problem.

Fat chance, unless a fan in the PSU or on the graphics card or CPU slowed way down. Otherwise run the computer with its side cover removed, which will virtually eliminate overheating form other causes.

Whole what? What kind of plastic? If you're referring to insulating washers that go around the mobo mounting holes, you want them to be either cardboard (fiber), Mylar, or nylon because other materials are too easily pierced by screws. And be sure that the mobo is supported at every one of its holes, even if you have to insert nylon standoffs that don't attach to anything in the case (you may have to cut the bottoms of the standoffs). Corners should also be supported within about 1", but if they're not, stick press-on rubber bumpers to the case to prevent the mobo from touching.

The front power button has nothing to do with surges because all it does is send a low-voltage, low-current signal to the mobo, which in turn sends a similar signal to the PSU. Any rear switch on the PSU won't cause damage, either, and your audio system shouldn't bother the computer unless the computer's PSU is awful and doesn't contain an EMI filter, which blocks lower voltage surges that MOVs ignore.

It's all meant for continuous use, but some PSUs and mobos are made with low quality brand electrolytic capacitors -- see

for FAQs and forums.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly