Group faq?

Googling around for a FAQ describing the intent and politeness rules for this newsgroup.

Any pointers?

Reply to
Chris McCulloch

There are lots of other groups.

Reply to
krw

Chris McCulloch wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

As is common with technical groups that have origins lost in the mists of USENET time (i.e. sci.electronics before the 1994 reorganisation), one should attempt to adhere to the ethos of the well known guide: "How to ask questions the smart way"

--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL

Write something up and we'll give it thoughtful consideration.

Precision electronic instrumentation

What does a F(at)A(ss)Q(ueen) have to do with anything?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

sci.electronics.design Mini-FAQ:

[Q] What are the rules for sci.electronics.design? [A] There are no rules. Nobody would follow the rules if they existed. [Q] What are the posting rules regarding intent? [A] It should be one's intent to actually answer the original posters question and to try and stay on subject. However, since nobody actually does that, I would not be too worried about your intentions. Ego inflation, arrogance, rudeness, name calling, political agendas, etc are common intentions and are generally tolerated. [Q] What are the posting rules regarding politeness? [A] Polite replies are of course preferred, but not required. Some of the better technical replies are often wrapped in insults and character assassinations. I suggest you ignore the lack of tact, respect, politeness, and readability and just deal with the technical content. Some effort towards being polite would be nice, but not required.

Woof.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

This gives the original rationale, back in 1994, when the group was split out of sci.electronics.

I first started posting here in 1996 - you can check on Google.groups - back when the group was rather less polarised and more polite.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

"Chris McCulloch"

** Google Groper Alert

** Yep,

like any unmoderated internet forum, SED is chock full of trolls, fakers and wankers.

Being polite to any of them only feeds their monstrous, bloated egos.

There is no point posting technical queries here - as you will only get irrelevant and conflicting replies followed by the regulars jumping on their many high horses and talking down to each other.

Hint:

Post a question to which you already know the answer - see what happens.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

(...)

I guess I should mumble something about how to get a sane answer on Usenet. Please supply:

  1. What problem are you trying to solve? One or two sentences is sufficient. For example, start with "I'm trying to design a turbo-encabulator and am having trouble stabilizing the unilateral phase detractors".

  1. What do you have to work with? Hardware, software, VERSION NUMBERS, expertise level, spares, documentation, patents, etc.

  2. What have you tried so far and what happened?

There are plenty of other details that would be useful to disclose, but the above are the minimum.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

spot on:) I guess its not news that some tron enges arent altogether socially normal.

The main thing is to post some real technical content.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

And my own pet peeve: say if youre designing a production item or building a 1 off. The 2 things often require different solutions, due to the issues being different.

NT

Reply to
meow2222