force feedback

I have to design a control for a human interface. I need a rod traveling about a foot, with a linear pot attached. I need to vary the force to pull the rod using a external control voltage, yet still let it act as a one axis joystick. The end user wants variable force from

1 to 12 pounds per inch Right now I'm using a plastic chain and some simple gearing with a dc motor. The two origional thoughts were
  1. PWM a mosfet as a variable short across a good quality DC motor to vary the required force.
  2. Use a sample and hold pulsed rapidly to grab the current pot value, then feed that signal summed with the current position back to the motor after scaling the signal using a analog multiplier (ad633) in a simple servo loop. So the control tries to fight its current position back to the last position. Do this at say 1000 hz.

Any other ideas short of a microprocessor and strain guage? Cost matters and the customer wants K.I.S.S

Steve Roberts

Reply to
osr

How is this rod to move ?

Will there be another rod connected to one end that will be controlled ?

Or ......

Reply to
donald

A little more info about quantities and max cost would help, IOW how much NRE versus materials.

One idea: Stepper motor, little wheel on its shaft, rope around that, other end of rope to rod. Then use a stepper motor controller chip and set the torque. If it has to stop pulling at a previous position you need at least some analog S&H, plus a loop.

Hydraulics would be anotehr option but that requires lots of ME design.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Nitinol will do that. Check out the specs:

Larry

Reply to
Larry Snyder

OK, the current idea is , I need 12" of travel and have more then enough room for a 24" long rod in the panel.

II The origional idea was to have two gears spaced about 12" apart, linked with plastic chain, one gear has a dc motor attached, either geared down or straight to the gear, the idea being to pWM the motor with a fet as a short to vary the resistance. The rod would be linked to the chain at one point. I have a linear pot with 24" travel and 10K resistance for output and feedback. force needs to be consistant for both directions of travel.

The traditional way to to this is have springs that have a jackscrew attached to vary their compression, but that is ugly and overy complex.

The nitinol wire idea sounds cool, but its gonna need a bunch of wheels and a spring for when you push the rod in, which makes controlling it a intersting proposition. .

Reply to
osr

Reply to
Larry Snyder

Lookup a thing called a torque motor. It is designed to work at stall as well as forward or backward.

Reply to
JosephKK

That only allows you to vary the apparent damping, i.e. the force vs. velocity. If you want the control to move to some commanded position with no applied force then this won't do the job for you.

I don't see where you need the sample and hold -- you could do this with a purely analog circuit. You may find you need a fancier control loop than mere proportional to account for the dynamic behavior if the user lets go of the thing -- do you want it to slide smoothly to a stop, is it OK if it goes "boing", is it OK if it oscillates?

You may also find that by the time you add sample and hold, multipliers, &c., that "K.I.S.S." means "microprocessor and (easy to change) code".

The name of what you're doing is "haptic feedback" by the way.

Depending on how accurate the force needs to be and the customer's latitude to variation in the feel of the thing moving fast vs. slow you may get by just fine with a motor, but haptic feedback is, by definition, touchy-feely, which means that you're going to be dinking with it -- and dinking with something like this, in a repeatable way that in amenable to field modifications, pretty much demands a microcontroller.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott