bias tees

You might have given me an idea. I have been pondering throwing something t ogether and I might be able to make use of a couple of those.

In case you're curious, it is a cable/remote extender. We got a cable box i n one room and a set top box in another. I want to take some RG6 to send th e signal from one room to the other, and make it bidirectional. Not at the same time, but with a flip of the switch it turns around. One position it s ends the set top box through the cable and the remote signal the other way. Flip the switch then it sends the cable output one way and switched the IR emitters and receivers. I was just going to use a resistor but using those will keep the cable signal integrity better. Actually it's not that critic al, it'll just be channel 4 but this is much neater if nothing else.

Of course that will have to wait until I again have too much time on my han ds.

Reply to
jurb6006

Use relays.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yech. More like a flip of 2 switches. However, you don't need a switch. See "RF directional coupler" or "RF hybrid coupler". One at each end will give you a bi-directional connection without flipping switches. If you don't like hybrid couplers, which potentially can have intermodulation (mixing) problems, look into upconverters or RF modulators that upconvert the IR remote carrier (about 40KHz) to RF frequencies using baseband in one direction and cramming some RF between two cable channels for the other direction.

If the cable frequencies on the coax are different from whatever the remote control sends, you can do much the same thing with an "RF splitter" or "diplexer".

Look into "MoCA" (multimedia over coax) which I think will do whatever you're contemplating using ethernet.

Last resort... run two coax cables, one for each direction. IR to RF converter perhaps. Maybe an IR to fiber optic cable converter. Maybe use CAT5 instead of coax:

Perhaps wash your hands occasionally?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Actually I am thinking of resistoring it so that it simply works both ways. That is easier said than done.

It would be just that the remote control range was extended there. Now the RF can't go both ways but now that I think of it they do switch between channel three and four. So conceivably both signals could exist in one coax.

I think that might make a bitch out of impedance but this is only channel three and four.

Thing is DC would not be going to the power tap, the amplified and buffed IR pulses would. And since there is hardly any current, relays are not the way to go.

Reply to
jurb6006

Am 06.02.19 um 16:35 schrieb John Larkin:

So here they are:

<

First the Mini circuits bias tee open, risetime on TDR and frequency response on VNA.

Then a single Piconics coil on a 50 Ohms stripline, without shielding, damping or whatever, simply open. There may be radiation losses.

The microstrip is on a multilayer made from some ceramic-filled prepreg. Also step and frequency response.

There are some comments below the pics.

cheers, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

I do like this one, esp. the line about the hospital.

<

cheers, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

That looks like Strokkur. I don't remember seeing any safety signs or barriers there.

Justifiable because it warned of a strange situation that wasn't blindingly obvious to someone with a brain that they had turned on when they woke up.

It said something like "you can tread on the red and brown soil but if you tread on the yellow or white soil it can give way without warning, and you can slip into boiling mud".

Nice picture of yours at Gullfoss

You can see a ledge about 10ft/3m below the people. I'm pretty sure I can find photos I took when I walked along that. I'm also pretty sure it has eroded since I was there!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yeah. Amazon-ing. Ordered some Cleaning Duster and it arrived by way of the local Office Depot.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Looks like a perfect antenna..

Reply to