Automotive voltage regulator

I have a need for 12V 250ma and 5V 1.2A outputs from car battery. Input vol tage is clamped with TVS to

Reply to
markjsunil

Several people make boost-buck switchers that could keep your 12 volt output pretty much constant. Sepics and flying-inductor things.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

"Cold crank" (think upper peninsula of Michigan :-) specification is

4V which is where I designed my ignition systems to still function. ...Jim Thompson

voltage is clamped with TVS to

utdown during cranking.

for any regulator with a drop put voltage of 1-2V.

M2268X) and then another 12V to 5V buck regulator. What will be the output of adjustable buck switching regulator if the input voltage goes below the required output voltage? Will the o/p drop to zero or Vin - dropout?

converter like LMR64010.

tion.

The unit has a board/module inside which has operating range of 8V-12V and

5V is to the micro and peripherals. So operation down to 4V isn't really re quired.
Reply to
markjsunil

If systems don't have to be functional during engine crank, a simple way is to simply hold those circuits in reset until the engine is running. For analog circuits simply think power management. ...Jim Thompson

There are several bucks that allow high duty-cycle operation. I have the same problem and have been using a TI TPS65320 for 5V. It's pretty cheap, works to 2MHz, and includes a free LDO (which switches from the input to the output when the buck turns on). As John points out, there are several boost/bucks around now. Some will operate the boost in pass-thru mode (boost shuts down) when the input voltage allows it. Look in the catalogs under the automotive parts. This is a very common need.

Reply to
krw

Have a look at system basis chips if you have a CAN/LIN requirement as well.

Most are linear, there are some buck/boost versions but I don't know any off the top of my head.

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com... I have a need for 12V 250ma and 5V 1.2A outputs from car battery. Input voltage is clamped with TVS to

Reply to
IanM