add one resistor, quiet ugly smps ADC noise

Switching converters and sensitive SAR ADCs don't go well together. Consider a 3.7 Li-ion to 14V boost converter, switching 400mA current ramps at 500kHz. Add a 16-bit ADC, which takes 2us to sampling a signal, and completes its conversion in 15us. A large fraction of the ADC samples are degraded by SMPS switching noise. The boost converter, a TPS61040, has an enable input, but if used this triggers a 1 ms soft-start operation, so it can't serve as a way to quiet the converter.

Converters use two resistors to set the output voltage. I added a third resistor to the 1.255V feedback node, connected to a 3.3V controller logic output. When at 0V the converter works normally maintaining 14 volts. But a logic high lowers the 14V setpoint by 3.3V, to nearly 10V, instantly stopping any converter operation. Doing the disable a few us before triggering the ADC, and releasing it a few us after, completely eliminates the degraded ADC sampling, yet still lets the boost converter keep up with the 14V load requirements.

Note, not all converter ICs can be stopped so easily. The TPS61040 uses a pulse-frequency modulation (PFM) scheme, with constant peak current, and makes its switching decisions on a pulse-by-pulse basis.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

If a schematic's worth a thousand words, a schematic with component values is worth even more. :0) FWIW, you leave me with the impression that you're doing something similar to this:

-----------------------+--------------------------------o +14V | +------------+ R1 2.2M | TPS61040 | | | | | | FB +-------+---R3-----< +3.3V Enable | | | 68k | GND +---+ | | + | R2 180k +------------+ | |

-------------------+---+--------------------------------o GND

73,
--
Don Kuenz, KB7RPU
Reply to

How well does that work? Stopping the switcher will kill the big switching ringing, the main noise source, but will "freeze" the ripple at random voltages.

lunatic fringe electronics

Thanks, close, but if a 3.3V logic signal swing is to lower the output setpoint by 3.3V, then R3 = R1. In fact I used R1=R3= 2.49M and R2= 167k.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

It works extremely well. The "noise" isn't from inductor-switch node ringing, etc., but rather from fast di/dt ground bounce, etc. This kind of noise is very fast, transient, and instantly disappears.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Hi

I don?t really see the point of your efforts about this

With 16bit, one LSB is 200uV

You most likely have about 1uF output cap and a switching ripple of 100mV. So you will never measure this correctly if you don?t filter the he ck out of it, and the 1us idle makes no sense, since if you have filtered i t will be noise free

By the way, I have done digital switch modes a couple of times and digested many papers, and have never seen a system with more than 12LSB

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

No, sorry, there's a high-res ADC on the circuit board near the converter, measuring a TIA-amplifier signal. The converter creates 14V for a 50mA LED current source. The TIA amp, ADC and smps are sharing grounds, etc., and the introduced converter noise looks huge on the amplified signal, when viewed on a scope or with the ADC data. But the noise disappears from the scope and ADC data while the converter is momentarily stopped. BTW, we may only be using 10 to 12 bits of the data, but the max noise seen must have been at the 4 to 6-bit level! Anyway, I added the extra 3rd resistor to the next rev of the PCB and now we're happy. I re-purposed a controller bit that wasn't busy doing anything else during the ADC conversions.

I thought others might like to know about this little trick.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

torsdag den 28. juni 2018 kl. 20.49.38 UTC+2 skrev Klaus Kragelund:

. So you will never measure this correctly if you don?t filter the heck out of it, and the 1us idle makes no sense, since if you have filtered it will be noise free

ed many papers, and have never seen a system with more than 12LSB

afaiu the switcher and ADC are not related they just have to live together

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I've done similar and also paused things like display updates during burst of sampling

I believe there also are some MCUs that can automatically go into "sleepmode" during sampling

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That is slick. We's considering an EOM driver with a 9 Gs/s, 14-bit DAC on the same board with switchers. The active shot is under 50 ns, so we could kill all the power supplies when we fire the DAC.

Here's a board with a 12-bit, 250 Ms/s ADC a few inches from some switchers.

ADC noise is about 1 LSB RMS, dumb luck mostly. Well, everything is differential.

16 bits would be awful. Those LTM switcher bricks are pretty quiet.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Like, computing trashes the on-chip ADC? Makes sense.

The ARMs that we use can, I think, have the ADC programmed to sample periodically and then interrupt. So the CPU could sleep-on-interrupt.

An external ADC isn't bad; just keep the SPI bus quiet while the ADC is busy. Some SAR ADCs are actually sequenced by the SPI burst, but that's probably OK.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

torsdag den 28. juni 2018 kl. 21.40.29 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

back in the day when I was doing Bluetooth we did a stacked chip with a transceiver and an SoC, everything worked great until the code was mowed to ROM instead of RAM then the sensitivity dropped

turned out to be running ROM interfered with the PLL, running code in RAM didn't

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

We like the 14-bit TI ADC141S626, which works like that. It has this weird continuous mode where you leave CS' low, and it takes 18 clocks for a 14-bit conversion. That's a nuisance since the MCUs we mostly use (NXP Cortex Ms) can't do SPI transfers that long in hardware.

However, if you work CS' on each acquisition, it only needs 16 clocks. It has super nice DNL and other good properties, and it's about $3 in thousands.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

We use ADS7866 for a cheap outboard ADC. SOT-23-6. 12 bits, $1.50 by the reel.

I once built a 10-bit ADC out of parts... transistors, no ICs. 3U rackmount. It sold for more than my Austin Healey Sprite.

I interfaced it to an IBM 1401. It was used to digitize waveforms from monkey brains. Try to top that!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I'm assuming you were already using a quiet ground for the ADC with a single-point tie to system ground? And possibly a resistor in series with its Vdd pin? And this wasn't enough?

Reply to
sea moss

Nice trick, have to try out that one! I've got a sensor design with analog side supplied by TPS61030 and enough caps.

--
mikko
Reply to

Having pushed one through EMC, and seen the ~ns edges from one, I laugh derisively.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

After considerable searching, I settled on MCP3201 for my go-to 12-bit ADC. This part has a pin for the voltage reference, so you aren't forced to use the digital supply. It also has separate + and - analog inputs, nice. Or place a 16-bit ADS8325 on the PCB (same MSOP8 pinout), that sealed the deal.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Nope, sorry, there was no room for best practices on this long thin PCB. Yes, a separate "quiet" analog supply, but was forced to be satisfied with a single slightly-fattened ground trace running the length of the board. And the TIA amp was next to the 14-volt boost converter. Yes, very risky, but perfectly OK, with the single-added-resistor smps shutoff trick.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

The TPS61030 has a different soft-start scheme, that looks at the output voltage, so you might be able to momentarily stop conversions with the enable input. But its control scheme might also allow for quick cutoff, with the added resistor trick. Let us know.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win