Visual tour: 25 years of Windows

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9196998/Visual_tour_25_years_of_Windows

Cheers Don...

====================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Visual tour: 25 years of Windows
That just reminds me of how good AmigaOS was for a good percentage of those
years... Windows was a terrible excuse for an OS for such a long time.

Re: Visual tour: 25 years of Windows

What's missing is this

To get Winoze 3.0 to work you had to buy Windoze 3.1
To get Windoze 3.1 to work you had to buy Windoze 95
To get Windoze 95 to work you had to buy Windoze 98
To get Windoze 98 to work you had to skip WinMe and buy Windoze 2000
To get Windoze 2000 to work you had to buy Windoze XP
No need to buy Vista, but must have rocks in your head if you did
You had to buy Win7 if you were forced to buy Vista
And Hopefully Win8 will fix the dreadful Search and File Explorer
introduced in Vista and Win7

Re: Visual tour: 25 years of Windows

Naah, why would you down grade to that pile of crap.

Re: Visual tour: 25 years of Windows

USB Drives

Re: Visual tour: 25 years of Windows
USB drives work on Windows 2000 - I still run one test machine with Win2000.

Tom

Re: Visual tour: 25 years of Windows

USB1

Trying to get USB2 drivers to work on 2000 was a nightmare.
And if it used VIA chipsets, good luck.

Re: Visual tour: 25 years of Windows

How strange, the machine I am using tonight  has a 2 port USB2 card vith a
Via chip and is running Win 2000.  The card is connected to the ADSL2 modem
and the printer, both of which are working happily.  What am I doing wrong?

Chas.

Re: Visual tour: 25 years of Windows

When you Installed did you left click or right click on the Install Button ?

Maybe it was the Name or Organisation that was different

Re: Visual tour: 25 years of Windows

Maybe you used SWMBO to install it. Mine complained at every "update" of the
operating system since '98. Had a whinge about 7 the other day. We are still
running XP. Ah well????

Re: Visual tour: 25 years of Windows

NEC USB2 Chipsets seem to ring a bell.
And if you got them to Load without a BSOD, couldn't get USB2 speed out
of them. And after every Service Pack, back to the drawing board again.

Re: Visual tour: 25 years of Windows

OMG, it's all coming back to me now

USB2 was released sometime 2000, and most motherboards did not include
USB2 on the boards for several years later. The only way to get a USB2
was a PCI Add-In Cards. That's when the Nightmares started, the worst
offender being Belkin Crap.

Re: Visual tour: 25 years of Windows

And anither thing

I remember getting a a new HP Server 2003-2004 to run SBS 2003
And the hardware only supported USB1. And once again bit me in arse
trying to do a Backup to a USB Disk

Site Timeline