Video to ethernet 'Black Box'

Hi all,

Had a thought that there are 'legacy' security video systems that might be updated to current technology.

Although these systems may work fine over coax to a recorder (most likely a VCR), I was thinking that maybe a 'black box' unit could be used to convert video to compressed MPEG streaming video and sent via ethernet - also WiFi.

I'm not talking about video baluns via cat5 here, but some form of streaming that may be used like the current IP cameras which could then be used with open source software like

Anyway, just a thought...

Cheers, Phil.

Reply to
philx1

sounds a lot like a PVR.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Sounds a lot more like a video server.

and *many* others which are much cheaper.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

Yes Clint you are right, more like a video server. Actually I searched for a while and didn't find one, thanks.

I should have also said "small black box" actually with single video in/ethernet out.

The reason being that there may be cameras at fairly different locations and I guess why I was thinking of this is that WiFi could be used. And yes, I know video signals could be sent instead of WiFi, but I've found signal losses and noise a major problem with that approach.

Reply to
philx1

Thanks for the reply Jasen.

Actually, not much like a PVR.

Why I had the link to Zoneminder was to show something that not only had the ability to record but to also have control over what is captured from each camera, mask out specific areas for triggering, trigger alarms etc. and also have the ability to connect from anywhere and view/control everything from a Web browser.

Reply to
philx1

Jaycar and others sell those video link wifi boxes, which would allow you to centralise the video conversion and storage/serving.

.
Reply to
terryc