using timer safe?

Hello I have a chest freezer with a faulty thermostat that is jammed on
running flat out (better than not at all I suppose).
I was wondering if it would be safe to use a timer so that it isnt running
flat out 24 hours a day until we can get it fixed?
the freezer  label says: Rated current 1.3A
Power consumption: 0.75 kw.h/24hr
the HPM timer says: Max 2400 Watts, 10A 230-240Vac 50Hz, motor rating M40

Is it safe to use this timer on the freezer?
One more q: due to distance it may be some time before it could be repaired
professionally. Age of (home maker brand) freezer is somewhere between 5 to
8 years old. I have some experience over many years fixing basic electrical
items. Is replacing a thermostat on a freezer a difficult job? I would
assume it is pretty easy and was thinking about getting the part ordered in
and fitting it myself. cheers

Re: using timer safe?

I can not see any problems. My guess is 15 mins per hour during day time
and 15 min per 2 or 3 hours at night. sans details.

Re: using timer safe?

It certainly wouldn't bother me to be using such a timer on the freezer,
and I can't see freezer coming to harm - turning the pump on and off is
likely all the thermostat does anyway.

Indeed, having the pump running continuously is probably not doing it
any good - it wasn't designed for that.

That's a tough one. I've found parts soldered into the circuit, and
held in place by brackets that have been spot welded, and there was
obviously never any expectation of a replacement. Other parts are nicely
held in place with screws, and wired in using spade connectors.

The only way to tell is to take a look.

Sylvia.

Re: using timer safe?

Pump? What pump?

Re: using timer safe?

I doubt it's a thermoelectric freezer, nor one using an absortion cooler
that takes electricity as it's heat source.

Most likely, it's a normal compressor style refrigerator. And a
compressor is a pump.

Sylvia.

Re: using timer safe?

 8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Most likely, it's a normal compressor style refrigerator. And a> compressor is
a pump.>A pump is a device that expends energy to raise, transport, or
compressfluids-liquids and gases. The term pump is generally used
forliquid-handling or hand-operated devices, while the term compressor is
usedwhen the pressure of a gas is increased in a motor-driven machine.Next you
will be telling us that hot air or water rises.

Re: using timer safe?

So after all that, you just wanted to split some hairs on terminology.

I wonder how you'll fit a motor operated vacuum pump into your nicely
partitioned world.

 > Next you will be telling us that hot air or water rises.

Or are you perhaps just trying to gloss over the fact that you didn't
actually know how a refrigerator works.

Sylvia.

Re: using timer safe?

Ah well ignorance IS bliss after all.  You're the proof.

Re: using timer safe?

I did that when my freezer stuck on. It was summer so I ran it 4 hours
on/4 hours off while I bought another freezer. Once the freezer gets
as cold as it can there tends to be a very light load on the
compressor motor anyway.

Based on freezer power measurements I've done subsequently probably a
20% durty cycle would be fine. (1 hour on, 4 hours off.) I have a
thermometer in the freezer to monitor temperature anyway.

I meant to replace the thermostat subsequently, but I never got around
to it. In the end I only kept if for an emergency freezer if the new
freezer suddenly failed with a hard fault.

Ross

Re: using timer safe?

If the thermostat is an older style mechanical type, ie a small knob
on a small box that has wires and a capillary tube coming from it ,
they are easy to replace provided you can find a suitable replacement.
If its an electronic type , they are a lot harder to fix.

Re: using timer safe?

Not at all, harder to find perhaps. An alternative is to use a generic
electronic temperature controlled mains switch with adjustable hysteresis,
like the one published in Silicon Chip recently. The manufacturers
controller is just the same but usually more expensive, and less versatile.
(but probably smaller of course)

MrT.

Re: using timer safe?

Thank you all very much for the good help I really appreciate it. I have
tried a few different timer settings and the freezer seems to be holding
steady at around -8C with the timer set for 15 minutes on, then 3/4 hour
off, then 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off, etc. Thanks!