Transformer parts

Hi

Can anyone reccomend an Australian supplier of transformer parts
(laminations, bobbins, frames, end bells etc) suitable for valve output
stages ?

Many thanks in advance

Steve Andrew

Re: Transformer parts

"Steve Andrew"

** Here is one in SA.

http://www.aemcores.com.au/AEMTransformerProducts.htm

.......  Phil

Re: Transformer parts

AEM cores in Sth Aust don't make E&I lams or Ccores anymore.
The do have unicores but they are not suitable for tube amps either in the
power or
output transformers. I have tried them. The cores are excellent in power
trannies where no rectification occurs.
Losses are the same as toriodal cores of spiral GOSS strip.
Unicores are difficult to restrain and hold in place.

Sankey of Newcastle NSW do make excellent quality GOSS E&I cores but you have
to buy a minimum order
of 50Kg paid in advance at about $13.20 per Kg including gst.
This material is imported and Sankey stamp out the E&I in various shapes and
size to order
and then aneal it and the maximum permeability when fully intermeshed is
17,000.
Its the best material for PP or SE OPTs, although I have not tried GOSS with
50% nickel laminations.
I have no clue where nickel cores could be bought; there is no demand in a
tiny country like Oz.

Bell ends yokes and plastic bobbins are maybe still available fron
Engineering Enterprizes in Melbourne.
Not all sizes are available and the bell end finish is lousy since they are
stamped on machines no maybe 60 years old.

Grade 2 polyester-imide dual coated enamel hi-temp wire and varnish and mylar
insulation materials can be obtained from Blackburn Wires in Sydney.

I often make my own bobbins with fibreglass sheet and electrical grade board.

There is also a  supplier in Oz for Eilor C-cores from Isreal; maybe you wait
for the parts to arrive though.

Patrick Turner

Re: Transformer parts

"Patrick Turner"

**  Proves nothing.

 Turner is a demented,  criminal imbecile.

........   Phil

Re: Transformer parts

I've tried them also, you smegma scraping, toroidal obsessing, dickwad.
They don't sell them any more and didn't want to sell mu-metal either.

Re: Transformer parts

Nobody will believe you Phil.

The full text you should have quoted but didn't was :-

Now Phil, let me make the point again, and more firmly, and that it is that you
directed someone interested in tube amp parts to AEM, but they would be unable
to be of much help.

They were of help until about 5 years ago when one could
order C-cores made to order, but not any more. They have not made E&I lams for
many years.
Although AEM's Unicores are a great idea there are problems using them to gain a
product
that looks as good as the E&I lams with bell ends. Then there is the problem of
mechanical clamping of them; they rely more vanishing, and are more difficult to
clamp than C-cores or E&I,
so waxing them like many DIYers do with OPT would not be good practice.

The Unicores are however available in various forms with regard to gaps which
can be stepped
or partially formed and a clever designer would perhaps be able to use them to
advantage, but I have never seen any
Unicored OPT yet.
When fully and maximally intermeshed the unicores have virtually the same
permeability as a toroidal wound with GOSS and are thus prone to dc saturation
at low levels due to net dc imbalance in PP output stages.
One advantage is that the unlike wasteless pattern E&I lams, the window size can
be made larger
in respect to the Afe, ie, the area of the build up and strip width going
through the coil, so the Acu can be a lot higher to make the OPT have very low
copper losses, a useful thing in an OPT.
Of course the same rules apply with the Afe and saturation and you still have to
design the unicored OPT
able to have B= 1.6T at 14 Hz. Good OPTs with wide bandwidth are always going to
be heavy
with respect to the VA rating.

I am a not a demented criminal imbecile for offering the public the wealth of my
technical experience.

But we all know who the demented imbecile really is, and he's never wound an OPT
afaik.

Patrick Turner.

Re: Transformer parts

:
:
: Phil Allison wrote:
: >
: >  Turner is a demented,  criminal imbecile.
: >
: > ........   Phil
:
: Nobody will believe you Phil.
:
:
: Patrick Turner.
:
:
Sorry to correct you Pat but apparently something called an
Andre Jute does and he believes everything Philthy posts.
From AJ's posts today I gather Philthy and he are betrothed
;-)

Cheers TT

Re: Transformer parts

:
: TT, I am wondering what you are doing apart from
nit-picking on a news
: group?
:
: Patrick Turner.
:
:
Thankyou for asking.  I have been helping to establish a
vibrant and healthy forum at http://forum.aushifi.com/ to
eliminate all the bad stuff that happens here.  I am
actually trying to do something about promoting polite and
technically astute interaction on the web.

Cheers TT

Re: Transformer parts

You would need excellent bullshit filters for sure.

Patrick Turner.

Transforming groups

We were hoping you'd be just the person to help with that process.

Sorry you couldn't see your way around the HTML at
 http://forum.aushifi.com/ Patrick.
You'd still be very, very welcome there.

Re: Transforming groups

process.
I'll second that :-)

Cheers TT

Re: Transforming groups

You'll have to add a "tube/valve audio" section first, before Patrick
will bother to look ;-)

BTW is this board exclusively for Aussies, or is participation from
other parts of the world welcome as well?

--

- Never argue with idiots, they drag you down their level and beat you with
experience. -

Re: Transforming groups

Sure are discussed.  Members can even post circuit schematics and photos if
they wish.

Open to any nationality.  The forum already has members from all over the
world.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: Transforming groups

The Internet is International.

Oz is like another Carlyfornyar parked down under, or a cross between that and
england
ireland & scootlund.
It ain't a 3rd world joint.

People here have real hi-fi and all that sorta stuff, so anyone is welcome to
whatever forum
but they musta minda da mannars!!

Patrick Turner.

experience. -

Re: Transforming groups

It's especially welcome to those to whom I've proposed marriage.
That's how you gain citizenship here.  ;-)

Re: Transforming groups

Sander deWaal wrote

So will I.

cheers, Ian

Re: Transforming groups

On Sat, 06 May 2006 10:41:08 GMT, "Ian Iveson"

Impossible. You'll have to third it.

Re: Transforming groups

On Sun, 07 May 2006 01:31:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@iprimus.com.au (paul packer)

Can you idiots stop crossposting to aus.electronics. No one here
actually gives a shit.

Re: Transforming groups

On Sun, 07 May 2006 19:53:40 +1000, The Real Andy

Yes, we're familiar with the non-interest of okkers in things with a
technical bent......

Re: Transforming groups

On Sun, 07 May 2006 11:27:21 +0100, Stewart Pinkerton

  So electronics isn't technical then?

Site Timeline