RF amp for HDTV

I'm currently using a DVico HDTV tuner, it works really well most of the
time. However, I'm in a shared block of flats with a dubious antennae
system.

Will putting an RF amp ontp the coax help things? I can't ( nor want to) put
a masthead amp onto the aerial, but am unwilling to spend money to amplify
an already OK signal.

I live on the Goald Coast, nearest tx is Mt Tamborine.

Thanks
Rob

Re: RF amp for HDTV

Unfortunately, you didn't describe the problem you're trying to fix.

 > I can't ( nor want to) put a masthead amp onto the aerial,
 > but am unwilling to spend money to amplify an already OK signal.

If the signal is already OK, I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve.

Peter

Re: RF amp for HDTV

As Pete implied, your signal isn't the problem. When does the reception
deteriorate? Time of day dependant? Weather dependant?

Cheers.

Ken

Re: RF amp for HDTV

Ah, sorry. I'm using a DVico USB model (they only have one) and FusionHDTV
version 3.00.00 I know that sounds a bit like an early release, but the
software's actually pretty good.

It gives a 'percentage rating' of signal strength, derived from what I don't
know. It doesn't seem to vary on weather, time of day etc but Channel 9 is
consistently poor; being hdtv it'll stutter and stop, and is generally
unwatchable. SBS (for example) is only a few 'percent' higher iin it's
rating, but is picture perfect.

So it seems that inadequate signal strength is the cause of the stuttering.
AFAIK all the stations transnit from the same location (Mt Tamborine, being
a big old extinct volcano in the area, good for putting transmission towers
on) so I don't know why it affects only Channel 9.

So, I was hoping that an RF amp would boost the signal strength enough to
make things work properly. I've seen various distribution amps / splitters
at Jaycar and DSE, but they seem like a bit of overkill; I'm only running
one TV, so just need an amp, I'm guessing.

Getting the landlord of the block of flats to alter whatever antenna
arrangment is in place isn't really an option. I've tried the unit with a
set of indooe UHF rabbit ears and get no signal at all.

I can handle a soldering iron, but know well enough that RF circuits would
be beyond my ability.

Sorry for not being more clear in the first place, thanks for the replies.

Rob

Re: RF amp for HDTV

"Robert Murphy"

 **  An antenna booster from Jaycar or DSE costs  $50.

http://dseau.resultspage.com/search.php?sessionid42%cb457b0baff5fa273fc0a87f9c077d&w=l4215+&site=&I1.x11%&I1.y=7

 It may or may not help  -  only trying one will tell.

 The things you are unwilling or unable to do will very likely help.

Re: RF amp for HDTV

http://dseau.resultspage.com/search.php?sessionid42%cb457b0baff5fa273fc0a87f9c077d&w=l4215+&site=&I1.x11%&I1.y=7

Where do you plug in the toaster?

Site Timeline