Re: Network question

Each computer, via cable Ethernet or Wireless.

No. 30 or 40 meters is easily possible with Ethernet.

Wireless is the easiest and probably the cheapest solution. Get a WiFi card
or dongle for your computer.

Forget trying to use the extra bigpond modem, it's not going to work.

The Bigpond modem plugs into the "Internet" input on the rounter, you then
plug all your computers into the rounter.
If you get a wireless router (you should, even if you don't need it now)
then you can connect as many computers as you want using the wireless
connection, as well as the ones connected directly to the router.

I use a DIR-300 D-Link wireless router with my bigpond modem, but there are
countless others.

Dave.

Re: Network question

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 15:05:25 +1100, "David L. Jones"

Hi Dave

Are you connected to Bigpond Cable?

Reason for the question is that I am wanting to replace my Router, a
Netgear WG614 and am not sure which others run the BP Cable Client.

Are you happy with the D-Link unit?

Cheers

Dave Goldfinch.

Re: Network question

Yep.

There is no Bigpond cable client software any more, it's all done in the
bigpond modem via the MAC address now. So you just plug the moden into any
wired or wireless router and it just works.
I guess too many people complained about the old client software system that
meant you couldn't just plug the modem directly into a router.

Yeah, it works, never given any problem.

Dave.

Re: Network question

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 09:37:31 +1100, "David L. Jones"

Well that is news to me!

I always knew that it was done via the MAC address as this was what
the installers had to call back to the admin centre before it would
work. I have been using the same modem & router since I connected to
BP about  6 years ago & it definitely hasn't changed apart from a
download of new firmware for the router about a  year ago.

Are you perhaps talking about the Cable Elite or Ultimate offering?
This hasn't hit WA yet.

Dave

Re: Network question

Don't know about those, I joined the super fast Bigpond Liberty Extreme plan
in Sydney a couple of years back after having it 5 years ago or so and then
switching to ADSL for a couple of years.
I guess they call that the Elite or Ultimate plan now?
I've got the new SB5101 modem as part of the new sign-on package, don't know
if you need that to connect direct via the MAC address only though.
One of the reasons that enticed me back to cable was that they had removed
the requirement to have that stupid client software running on the computer
that was connected, so you couldn't just connect the modem to a wireless
router like you can with an ADSL modem.
I read on the Whirlpool forums that they had actually removed this
requirement a year or two before I joined again, and I believe it's for all
plans now. No one should have to use the client software.
Best to ask on the Whirlpool forums about this though, I don't know all the
details.

Dave.

Re: Network question

The ethernet connection on the computer or other Internet enabled device of
course.

They are tranceivers, they send and recieve ethernet packets.

You need a wireless ethernet bridge, like this:
http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WET54G

Don't know for sure, sorry.
A wireless ethernet bridge would allow you to use a wireless router as I
said.

Dave.

Re: Network question

Look I found a picture!

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ics/diffrout.htm

Re: Network question

a "wireless bridge" or an access point that supports bridging can be
used to connect wired devices to a wireless network.

you could try an ethernet switch there.

Re: Network question

the main difference is the bridge puts the wired devices on the same
subnet as the wireless devices. a router would put them on a different
subnet, so the bridge is easier to set up. Last time I was buying,
bridges were more expensive even though they are simpler devices.
(probably not a large enough market)

Re: Network question

Yes, the router will have an Ethernet port labeled "Internet" or similar,
and the other Ethernet ports will be labeled 1,2,3,4 etc
I'll leave it up to you to figure out what goes where.

Dave.