OT: warning about 194040 scam - Page 2

Re: OT: warning about 194040 scam

yeah but I would still rescue you if you were drowning or let you buddy
breath

Re: OT: warning about 194040 scam

I agree. Any scam that is invented will attract someone and all too often we
blame that person for falling for the scam. Quite often (but not always)
they fall for the scam for being too honest and not understand the depth of
dishonesty other's will go to.

Us? As in us superior people?

You and trevor should stop looking down at the rest of the world :-)

Michael

Re: OT: warning about 194040 scam

As in people who aren't idiots.

Not the rest of the world, just the idiots and morons.

Re: OT: warning about 194040 scam

Well, I lived in a few different places around the world, some without
much government involvement into business practices etc. My observation
is simple - more government protection  breeds more morons in society.

Tom

Re: OT: warning about 194040 scam

Too "intelligent" to have a voice and not use it? I would probably use a
word based on intellect as this is something that we are taught.
You don't have to rely on "large media organisations" to speak up or get
your message across though it helps if you have something to say.
:-P

Re: OT: warning about 194040 scam

I suspect you're one of those people who needs to find other's stupid in
order to feel better about yourself.

I deserve to be parted with my $2 I agree. I do not deserve to be charged $4
every week for the rest of my life for sending one sms. Who's going to
expect to be charge $2 for receiving calls.

Are you telling me you've never done anything stupid in your life? I admit I
was stupid to send the SMS but on the scale of stupid things that a person
could do this is right down at the low end. I've actually sent a couple
before to reputable companies from a competition on an icecream pack. It was
55c to enter but seeing I was on a cap it's not costing me anything so why
not. I sent them an sms, got charged my 55c and they sent a reply back
saying I didn't win and that was the end of it. I don't see how that's
stupid, considering it didn't cost me anything it's actually a smart thing
to do :-)

You should chill out a bit.

Michael

Re: OT: warning about 194040 scam

Actually, you do.

The terms & conditions are spelled out in the adds, albeit very breifly, and
by sending your message you're agreeing to be bound by them.

Noddy.

Re: OT: warning about 194040 scam

There was no way in the world I could have read those from across the room
on my tiny tele. They were deliberately small and not shown long enough to
read. If tested under law I'm sure I'd be in the right.

Michael

Re: OT: warning about 194040 scam

I wouldn't bet big money on that.

There's minimum standards for this type of crap, and there wouldn't be too
many TV networks that would knowingly let that shit get by if it wasn't
kosher. What they generally show you is the *minimum* they have to in order
to comply with the regulations, and if you can't understand the terms &
conditions for whatever reason it's your problem.

I agree that the terms are ridiculously small and not shown for long enough
to read entirely, but if that's all they're legally entitled to do you're up
shit creek. Claiming that "the writing was too small to read from across the
room" would not be an acceptable defence in my humble opinion.

Noddy.

Re: OT: warning about 194040 scam

**That woiuld be 'projection'. Even in the wishy-washy terms you've
used. I am simply staggered by the number of people who have been
conned by the 'phone companies into using SMS. SMS is dirt cheap (for
the 'phone companies). Whilst they cost the consumer $0.20  (or
thereabouts), the cost to the 'phone companies, in network time is so
little that the real cost would probably not be able to be accurately
guaged. Figure on about ONE MILLIONTH of one Cent per SMS and you're
probably not far off. SMS is a con-job, aimed at children. It has
worked brilliantly. Adults, OTOH, should know better. Email is
essentially free.

**Anyone who uses SMS without reading the fine print.

**I've done plenty of dumb things. SMS ain't one of them. I used it
ONCE. I now ignore any SMS messages and wiat for the idots to actually
'phone me (or email). I refuse, point blank, to use SMS to enter any
knid of contest, as it is clear that the cost of SMS pays for the
prizes (and then some). It is a huge con.

 I admit I

**No. We are presently seeing a huge re-direction of resources away
from real things, to stupid SMS messages, from children and the
feeble-minded. I object to that. Our society could well do without such
ridiculous and unnnecessary waste.

Trevor Wilson

Re: OT: warning about 194040 scam

you crack me up.

You should know what something costs has little to do with what it sells
for. For me an sms is worth the 11cents.

Presumably they'd rather avoid talking to you.

Why? It's part of my cap so essentially free. It makes perfect sense.

Hardly. We've become so efficient that if everyone in this country was
actually involved in producing goods we'd be in real trouble. We need lawers
and tax agents to save the environment.

Michael

Re: OT: warning about 194040 scam

Why do you think they do it? Hint: They're in business.

If you're too keen to partake before you read the fine print, that's you're
problem.

Noddy.

Re: OT: warning about 194040 scam

Do read the fine print before spending every $2? I bet you've made some
fairly big decisions in life without reading all the fine print. Does anyone
read the fine print for their home insurance or life insurance.

Michael

Re: OT: warning about 194040 scam

Of course not, but then again not every $2 I spend is "at risk".

Can't say that I have.

Whenever I've commited myself to anything I've always gone out of my way to
fully understand what it is that I'm getting myself into. Particularly where
money is involved.

Only an idiot wouldn't :)

Noddy.

Site Timeline