[OT] Sorta OT - plastic tube for electronics housings

It's a bit OT but most of us here have dealt with this sort of thing so I
thought I'd try my luck again . . . . . . .

I'm looking for somewhere to buy rigid plastic tubing to house a pcb for a
low volume "cottage industry" product. Electrical conduit & irrigation pipe
are almost ideal but the plastic is inconsistent in its makeup, colour and
finish.

What I'm looking for is:

* ID around 16mm, OD 18mm --> 20mm
* Need 5m or so
* PVC referred but polycarbonate or maybe acetal could be ok, but needs to
be white or light grey or cream colour
* Outside use, 0C-55C temps, indirect sunlight, would need to last a couple
of years

Dotmar & the local plastic suppliers don't seem to have anything. RS &
similar don't have anything. I'd rather source tube than buy rod/bar and
bore it out, but I'll do that if I have to.

Any suggestions alternatives or some potential Australian sources?

Thanks

Re: [OT] Sorta OT - plastic tube for electronics housings

Wouldn't rigid plastic conduit do, or even water pipe?  I'm sure I've seen
both in white in the UK and 20 mm is a popular OD for conduit and fittings -
can't think of a reason why they shouldn't be available elsewhere (except
perhaps national building/wiring regs).

Chris

Re: [OT] Sorta OT - plastic tube for electronics housings

Oops - missed 'inconsistent in its makeup, colour and finish'.

Re: [OT] Sorta OT - plastic tube for electronics housings

Yeah - other than it's colour flaws etc it's pretty much perfect - and very
inexpensive.
cheers.

Re: [OT] Sorta OT - plastic tube for electronics housings

Have you looked at PVC water pipe? It's white (so more consistent naturally),
and made for a more demanding job (retaining pressure long-term) so perhaps
more reliable in makeup.

The underground-rated orange electrical tubing is most more consistent, even
though you didn't want that colour. I've used Clipsal electrical j-boxes for
a similar type of product, but the orange colour was a distinct advantage to
me.

You could try to call Clipsal anyhow - perhaps if you source your conduit
from a single, local, quality company, you'll get a consistent result? Better
than buying at Bunnings anyhow.

Clifford Heath.

Re: [OT] Sorta OT - plastic tube for electronics housings

Good idea, I might visit the local L&H and see if they stock better quality
conduit, maybe the irrigation places may have better quality water pipe as
well. The Bunning conduit & water pipe has gone the way of most of their
stock - cheap & nasty.
Thanks.

Site Timeline