OT rant, iphone - Page 3

Re: OT rant, iphone

Best phone is an old style nokia, although the Philips is not bad
either. Makes calls, sms are not a worry , goes a week or more between
charges (the Phillips is a month) is small and because they cost so
little are less likely to get damaged or dropped overboard. Smart phones
are cumbersome and fragile. Tried a n97 for a year or so but got sick of
the battery life and it now is sitting on the desk unused, replaced by a
Nokia classic. When I'm on hollidays (Oz) I have a nokia with the GPS
and web but it is still the small form factor. I live a rough and tumble
life nd big heavy phones get busted too easily, I couldn't imagine being
on a 2 year plan.

--
Brad Leyden
6░ 43.5816' S 146░ 59.3097' E  WGS84

Strange you are having so much hassle - my 8 yr old grandkid manages to
download apps and music to her iPod and my iPhone without problems.  I
guess you could hire her as a consultant to teach you how to do that
sort of thing if the money was right.

David

Re: OT rant, iphone

The reality is that kids of your granddaughter's generation are whom the
iGizmos are aimed at - impressionable young things who think along the lines
of social media and shopping centres, who aren't burdoned with old-fashioned
business logic.

My daughter has an iPhone, which she (in her own words) "loves to hate." My
sons and I all have Androids and wouldn't touch an iThingy with anything
other than a mallet.

There're plenty of work-arounds available online to get around the
limitations Apple has imposed on the iPhone, but alas most of them involve
"jailbreaking" the device - which, because of Apple's licencing model (you
purchase the right to use it; you don't actually purchase the physical
product itself), means your warranty will be permanently revoked.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: OT rant, iphone
On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:57:28 +1100, "Bob Milutinovic"

Actually, you do purchase the physical product.

That is not the case.  It *may* be invalidated, but this relates to
damage caused by unapproved software.

That's as far as Apple take it, "warranty may be invalidated by jail
breaking".  Not will, but may.
--
Cheers,
Paul Saccani