OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

Bit of excitement today...
Got myself stuck in a lift after a power failure, half way between two
levels.

More than an hour later the Fire Brigade had me out through the very
tall hatch (about 3.5m high) via a ladder and then out through the
lift well.

Interesting to note that there were no emergency lights, but I had a
torch with me and the (non-lit) emergency button still worked, got
through to a human within about 10 seconds after the automated voice
announcement.
My mobile still worked, so I was able to surf the web to pass the
time.
Good to know some technology still hangs in there when the power goes
out.

http://www.alternatezone.com/images/LiftRescue1.jpg
http://www.alternatezone.com/images/LiftRescue2.jpg

Dave.

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 00:25:16 -0800 (PST), "David L. Jones"

A worst time for diarrhea....
Especially when there's other people stuck in the elevator.

It's a tough decision..
Do you crap in your pants...Orrrr... Pull them down and let'r rip in
the corner.
ffffffssffppphsssfffff ffppff fffpff   fffpsssshhhhh  fftt

Alternatively...
You'd have no hesitation for help through the hatch to instead crap on
top of the elevator. A yucky surprise for the emergency crew :P

D from BC
myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com
British Columbia
Canada

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

OMG, I think I'll take the stairs!!!

--
Adrian C

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

Colleagues and I once got stuck together with about a metric tonne of Beer
for the chrismas party - which is what caused the elevator to crap out. When
we were liberated we were in very good mood, having spent a couple of hours
agressively reducing the overveigth of the elevator carriage.

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape
On Jan 27, 1:49A0%pm, "Frithiof Jensen"

 The 13 story building I used to work in had no hatches. One day we
got a email extolling how switching to a least bidder elevator
contract would save us 125,000 a year in costs. Being stuck in the
building's 3 elevators became a standard thing.  For durations of 30
seconds to 4 hours.  Many, Many, times a week for years.  The least
bidder didn't even have schematics or spares for this system.

  Getting stuck in a hot elevator with a panicky  79 year old
professor was no fun, trying to keep him calm, while talking on the
phone to dispatch. It happened to me more then once, with my boss just
freaking out.  Memos flew back and forth to no effect.   But one
day....

 We hear the screaming and the alarm bell, and more screaming and more
bell. Some time around 2 hours in, of more lady screaming and more
bell,  a generator truck pulls up to the access road. I'm in the lobby
and and this six foot 300 pound gorilla/linebacker type is hauling in
two long pieces of one-ought and heading for the elevator doors.  Its
her husband, he's a welder, and he's gonna cut open the doors and get
her out.  Didn't even bother to ask, or say hello.  All the time
cooing on the cell phone to his missus.   He doesn't care, he's
starting at ground level to see whats up.  She's 4 stories up.  I got
security there  just before he started cutting  on the stainless steel
doors.

 Two or so  years later they were divorcing, and I wonder if he wished
he would have started at floor 13 (the unmarked penthouse) and cut the
cables and safeties......

Oh, the joys of working in university research. I'm gonna miss it.

So I'm glad you made it out. Here in the states the standard tactic is
to make you set while they try to fix things.

Steve Roberts

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

Sno-o-o-o-ort!  I know the type.  My father-in-law was like that...
machinist... he could probably simply rip the doors off with his bare
hands.

But he was really a teddy bear, reader of Shakespeare, classical music
and opera fan, etc. ;-)

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E.                           |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

I got stuck in an elevator at Jester dormitory (UT Austin) about 2:00 A.M.
The phone was ripped out, there were no cell phones at that time.

I was able to pry the inner door open and I then reached up for the lock on
the outer door.  Once the outer door opened, I climbed up the 5 or so feet
of wall that was in front of me and I was out.

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

Once, while I was living in a 3-story apartment, I heard the elevator
alarm - someone was pushing the "Help" button. I went to the floor where
the bell was loudest, and was able to talk to the guy in the elevator car,
by shouting a little. I asked him, "can you pry the doors apart by hand?"
He said, "yeah, but all I see is the mechanism inside the outer door."
So I talked him through it; I told him to move the mechanism around until
it unlatched; he found the "combination" and opened the outer door. He
didn't have far to climb.

Then we called maintenance. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

Funny how many would rather sit as opposed to taking some sort of action.

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

In my case the other day I was stuck between floors, so no escape
through the doors.
Incidentally, when the power failed the doors automatically opened
about a foot and released, presumably so you could make an easy escape
if you happened to be near a level.
The manhole escape hatch was however more than 3m above me, and had a
key lock on it. Nothing to climb up on except one hand railing on the
far side of the lift.
So I just sat tight and killed time by surfing the web.

The other lift next to it has an unlocked manhole you can reach with
your outstretched arm. So if I was in that one I would have climbed
out myself and tried to prise open the outer doors on the upper level.
That would be a silly option in the pitch dark of course (no emergency
lights), but I had a torch with me.

Dave.

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

Like you, I carry a minimag, cellphone and a folding box knife in my
cell case.  People refer to it as my 'Utility Belt'.

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

I've got an ARC-AAA premium 9 lumens LED torch on my key chain.
http://www.arcflashlight.com/arc-aaa.shtml
Very nice light, and FYI lights up a dark lift well very nicely.
Traded my AAA keyring mini-mag in for it - no comparison.

Always have a SAK on me too in my pocket (usually the MiniChamp, but I
have a collection :->). And also happened to have a Leatherman Wave in
my work bag at the time as well.

Dave.

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

It's amazing how many lawsuits have gone on in the past 5 years or so
regarding the "new breed" of LED flashlights... Mag Industries vs. Arc
Flashlight, SureFire vs. Pentagon light, etc.  Most of the lawsuits are over
pretty silly patents ("lockout tailcap switch") or effectively styling
(circumferential engraving of the flashlight's name/model).  Quite bizarre...

Personally I have no great love for Mag Industries these days... their lawsuit
against Arc was chintzy, an attempt to stop a competitor through questionable
legal means when they failed to compete technologically, even though Mag
Industries must be 1000x as big as Arc was at the time.  Mag has become little
more than a marketing company anyway... yeah, the products are good, but Mag
doesn't even stand behind the actual designs -- their LED flashlights that are
available today prominently proclaim, e.g., "3W LED!" and then, in tiny print
somewhere, "* As rated by the LED manufacturer."  Sheesh.  If I buy a 50W
power supply and then use it in, say, an audio amplifier, you can bet that
I'll advertise it as a "50W amplifier" without any disclaimer about well, the
power supply manufacturer said 50W, but I really didn't do enough tested to
know for certain, I guess, so if it isn't really 50W after all, don't blame
me?

---Joel

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

I had no idea that happened, thanks for the heads up.
My respect for Mag has just dropped ever further.

Dave.

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

It does sound like petty suits.  Mag has supported my product by sending
me both the part and the tool to install the part at no charge.

I suppose that's possible due to the high initial cost of a Mag product.

That having been said, I was installing equipment at a metal recycling
center.
As I was scavenging for a suitable mounting bracket, I found a 4 C cell
Mag in the junk.  It is in better shape than mine but it needs a new rubber
cap
over the switch and it is missing the lamp assembly.  The spring has had
corrosion due to leaky cells but is cleanable.

I will call Mag and see if they will ship the rubber part and the lamp
holder
assembly.  Then too, an LED mod kit from non Mag sources might be ready
to install in the reflector.

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape
This crowd might have the aftermarket LED lamp assembly for your 4C
Maglite, they are usually cheap, honest and fast, freight is free of
charge...well, incorporated in the base price. Get yourself a 'CREE type
Q5' or the even newer and more efficient type 'R2'. In the event your
new lamp assembly uses the older type 'P4' it is easy to replace the LED
itself, either as a loose part or mounted on its heatsink 'star'
assembly. With some work you can have variable/stepped brightness and
other functions such as epilepsy-inducing strobe mode, SOS etc.

These new LEDs are amazing....you too will be amazed at the efficiency
of these new (~100 Lumens per Watt) devices.

Website follows.

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.999

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape
If you talk to  Maglica on the phone, his lawyer sends you a letter
that every concept you discuss is now his property.
Swonce upon a time I did design work for the now deceased LEDCORP.
That is how I know about that.
 We had the first  luxeons refits on the market, and I have a nice
trick  for making T1-3/4s  fill a standard flashlight reflector
 and put a beam out to 100 or more feet.

See the Turtlelight reviews on  Led Museum, thats my baby. Back when a
2400 mCd Nichia was  1.75 each and you had to fight for good binning.

Steve

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape
writes
Deal Extreme are excellent but I'd always ring Mag first for spares,
I've had all sorts of replacement parts from them for free, even a cap
for my mini mag complete with spare bulb when I managed to lose mine.
--
Clint Sharp

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

What, No C4 or detonators? I guess you could chisel 'Kilroy was Here' on the
elevator paneling with your knife whilst waiting ...

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

Haha!  Or carve any other guests for food.

Site Timeline