nostalgia for valve radios

Today in an inner-city collectables store, I saw an old Kreisler model 11-7
bakelite radio, just like my grandmother had. Price tag was $295.
I don't know if it were working.

Re: nostalgia for valve radios

I feel a little guilty when I think of the dozens of old bakelite cased
radios I trashed and stripped down for parts as a kid. It would be neat
to have a few of them now.

Re: nostalgia for valve radios

Valve radios had a characteristic smell when turned on. I can still
remember it thirty years later.

Sylvia.

Re: nostalgia for valve radios

Burning....

Re: nostalgia for valve radios

  I suppose, but it was clearly a slow process.

Sylvia.

Re: nostalgia for valve radios

Maybe the valve heater circuit caused the burning smell?
Or was it ozone?

As a kid in the 60's with an interest in radio etc. I strung up all
sorts of dangerous arrangements in my room. I remember having Philco
radios with electromagnetic loudspeakers that used the speaker as a HT
filter, I put one of the speakers on top of my wardrobe with god knows
what kind of cable connecting it back to the radio. Must have been a
4-core cable but probably wouldn't have been rated at HT levels.

Re: nostalgia for valve radios

Slowly cooking house dust on the valves.

Re: nostalgia for valve radios

Now that sounds more plausible - if a bit disgusting, given that most
house dust is human skin.

Sylvia.

Re: nostalgia for valve radios

I suspected that someone would twig.

Re: nostalgia for valve radios

The NTC thermistor for the herater circuit would get hot enough
to burn paint.  any dust that settles on it would be converted
to smoke. any volatile chemicals would be altered too. "Hot" has a smell.

A 4 core cable intended for 415V three phase motors would surely be
sufficient. something with automotive applications, not so much.

--
umop apisdn

Re: nostalgia for valve radios

I probably only had telephone cable at the time....

Re: nostalgia for valve radios

"Jasen Bleatts"

** Never seen an NTC used in a valve radio, valve TVs sometimes had them.

No sign of one in the schem for the 11-7.

http://www.tuberadio.com/robinson/museum/Kriesler11-7/

The characteristic smell is mostly from hot bakelite (case, valve bases and
sockets) and the varnish used on the AC supply transformer.

....  Phil

Re: nostalgia for valve radios

They've been collectable for a long time now.

Site Timeline