New Inventors ABC TV - how does the thickness gauge work?

On New Inventors tonight was a tool for use by luthiers to measure wood
thickness to <0.1mm accuracy.

The arrangement is: A digital display on top, rare earth or simlar
magnet in the base (against the wood being measured) and a magnetic ball
bearing on the far side of the wood being measured.

http://instrumentool.com/tech-summary /

How does it work?

Re: New Inventors ABC TV - how does the thickness gauge work?

On the program, they actually said that the rare earth magnet is the
ball bearing, and did not say what sort of magnet the tip was.

In any event, I guess that somehow they are measuring the force on the
magnet in the tip.

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: New Inventors ABC TV - how does the thickness gauge work?

Ok if the ball is a magnet then maybe a strain gauge as you/trevor are
suggesting. I was thinking of a hall sensor or similar but the field
will change as the magnetic ball rolls.

Re: New Inventors ABC TV - how does the thickness gauge work?

**Buggered if I know. The link is useless. I watched it last night and
thought an explanation would be forthcoming. Presumably, it uses some kind
of magnetometer. Perhaps a strain gauge?

Yeah, a strain gauge I reckon.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: New Inventors ABC TV - how does the thickness gauge work?

Yeah, the link is useless - especially as it is titled "how it works".

Re: New Inventors ABC TV - how does the thickness gauge work?

 I didn't see the show, but it sounds like a re-invention of this:
<http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Violin/Hacklinger_Thickness_Gauge.html?actn10%0101&xst=3&xsr43%728

Inventors huh? This thing has been around for yonks, and adding a digital
readout isn't an invention, just simple application of existing technology.

If they had any sense, they'd build one to measure body filler in cars under
the paint. A lot more money in that than in lutherie.

Clifford Heath.

Re: New Inventors ABC TV - how does the thickness gauge work?
<http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Violin/Hacklinger_Thickness_Gauge.html?actn10%0101&xst=3&xsr43%728

Yep, very similar - just a different means of displaying the thickness.
Hall effect sensor?

One of the other "inventions" that won the episode was a pressure mat
intended for security applications based on an optical fiber - standing
on the mat attenuates the light passed through the fibre. An old idea as
well but it still won the show.

The up side of the episode was that neither that annoying Indian
Professor woman or that James Moody tryhard were on the panel. I can't
complain too much as I still watch it.....

Re: New Inventors ABC TV - how does the thickness gauge work?

Interesting. So it is not a completely new idea, but I think it is a
bit more than just digital vs analog readouts.

If I understand how the Hacklinger works, you have to watch the gauge
carefully as you slowly increase the lifting force, and make a note of
the reading when the upper magnet detaches from the bottom of the tube
it is in (it can't move very far, so the lower magnet does not drop
off).

Being able to get a continuous reading is a big improvement.
Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: New Inventors ABC TV - how does the thickness gauge work?
they already have built one that measures bog in car bodies ,  at my
brothers work a inspector that comes around to check cars has one.'

<http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Violin/Hacklinger_Thickness_Gauge.html?actn10%0101&xst=3&xsr43%728

Re: New Inventors ABC TV - how does the thickness gauge work?

thickness to <0.1mm accuracy.
the base (against the wood being measured) and a
<http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Violin/Hacklinger_Thickness_Gauge.html?actn10%0101&xst=3&xsr43%728

And a far better method - the radiation thickness gauge - has been around
for at least 50 years. You use a suitable source of radiation that passes through
the material to a detector. Simple and it works through all materials - try
using a magnetic sensor with ferromagnetics.
Why is measuring scraps of wood worthy of a prize in the year 2011 anyway ?
Seems the ABC is lost in the past.

Re: New Inventors ABC TV - how does the thickness gauge work?

MMmmm I think nature already invented one of those - its called a magnet

David

Site Timeline