My hat is off to Microchip and their CEO!

You aren't going to believe this...

I recently reviewed the new Microchip PICkit3 compared to the old PICkit2
and pretty much hammered the people responsible on behalf of those who have
found the PICkit3 upgrade rather lacking:
http://www.eevblog.com/2009/10/21/eevblog-39-pickit-3-programmerdebugger-review /

At it turns out, not surprisingly the video made it's way all around the
Microchip offices, even to the desk of their CEO.
As with any multi billion dollar corporation, I expected either deathly
silence or a nasty letter from their lawyers.

But it turns out Microchip really do care about their products and
customers, and really do listen, so they seriously took it as constructive
criticism.

So not only was my blog well received at Microchip, I got a lengthy call
from none other than the Microchip CEO Steve Sanghi, thanking me for the
blog and raising the issues. He pointed out a few factual errors which was
fair enough, but admitted they could have done the PICkit 3 better and most
importantly are working to fix the issues and give customers what they
expect.

They have even posted this hillarious video response in record time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YUvlrVlNao

I am absolutely blown away by their honesty and responsiveness, and it
starts from their CEO down.
Two thumbs up to Steve Sanghi and the guys and gals at Microchip!

Dave.

Re: My hat is off to Microchip and their CEO!

http://www.eevblog.com/2009/10/21/eevblog-39-pickit-3-programmerdebugger-review /

**Nice one Dave.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: My hat is off to Microchip and their CEO!

http://www.eevblog.com/2009/10/21/eevblog-39-pickit-3-programmerdebugger-review /

The power of one person (Dave)
Well done!!

JERD

Re: My hat is off to Microchip and their CEO!
http://www.eevblog.com/2009/10/21/eevblog-39-pickit-3-programmerdebugger-review /

I'll take a look at the PIC for my next project.

--
Dirk

Re: My hat is off to Microchip and their CEO!

http://www.eevblog.com/2009/10/21/eevblog-39-pickit-3-programmerdebugger-review /
You can add Altera to the list, I received an email from them about some
issues I had with their website.
Many people lurk here.

Cheers

Re: My hat is off to Microchip and their CEO!
http://www.eevblog.com/2009/10/21/eevblog-39-pickit-3-programmerdebugger-review /

I belive it. I've been to Microchip in Arizona, presented at the Masters
Conference and met several of their guys (working on the dsPic
architecture). They are very responsive and open. I even had one of my
suggestions incorporated into the architecture.

Re: My hat is off to Microchip and their CEO!
David L. Jones Inscribed thus:

http://www.eevblog.com/2009/10/21/eevblog-39-pickit-3-programmerdebugger-review /

Absolutely hilarious ! :-)
I enjoyed both videos.
Good on ya Dave.

--
Best Regards:
                Baron.

Re: My hat is off to Microchip and their CEO!

Very cool, Dave.
BTW, I loved your #40 blog[0], but I'm worried that it could get you in
trouble. Have your bosses discovered your blog yet?

[0] I've worked on several Doomed Projects myself.

  . | ,. w ,   "Some people are alive only because
Re: My hat is off to Microchip and their CEO!

Yes, my company is fully aware I do it, and I work within their blogging
guidelines (yes, they actually encourage us to do this sort of thing).
But all of those projects are from previous companies (now mostly folded),
so no problem!

Dave.

Re: My hat is off to Microchip and their CEO!

Ah, good.

  . | ,. w ,   "Some people are alive only because
Re: My hat is off to Microchip and their CEO!

Dave, compliments of Spehro Pefhany, the MC PICkit3 story made it to the
Piclist also:

http://old.nabble.com/Microchip%27s-customer-relations..-excellent-response-td26128622.html
Hope you can read it there without going through the login hoops

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: My hat is off to Microchip and their CEO!

http://www.eevblog.com/2009/10/21/eevblog-39-pickit-3-programmerdebugger-review /

Sadly also the Microchip Serial Memory Programmer now is supported by MPLAB
only, the former standalone software SEEVAL32 (on the former programmer with
a COM port) was handy and easier to use.
see:
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId14%06&dDocName=en535259
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?lang=en&site=US&WT.z_homepage_link=hp_go_button&KeyWords=DV243003&x16%&y14%

Anyhow the new product works fine and is cheap, and the Microchip response
is funny, and lets hope for an SW upgrade for the PICKIT3 and maybe also for
the serial memory programmer.

Does anybody use the pickit serial analyzer ?
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId14%06&dDocName=en028600

By the way Dave, your video blog is excellent !

MIKE

--
www.oho-elektronik.de
OHO-Elektronik