Multicoloured PCBs

My eyesight is not as good as it used to be, and trying to see copper on
khaki is very hard even at the best of times for me.

I have searched Farnell and a few others, but I cannot seem to find
green or other dark coloured copper clad boards.

I realise that these may cost a bit more, especially for a hobbyist but
where can these be obtain from?

Re: Multicoloured PCBs

I've rarely encountered coloured fibreglass substrate material, but it does
exist, e.g.:
http://www.jjorly.com/black_g10_fr4.htm
http://www.micam.com/micam_details_copperlam.html
Perhaps ask someone like Acetronics if they know a supplier:
http://www.acetronics.com.au /

You can of course get many colours in solder mask on manufactured boards.
What about if you simply tin-plate your board for better contrast?
Would a lower cost CEM substrate board provide better contrast?

What's the real issue here? Being able to inspect the tracking after home
etching??

Dave.

Re: Multicoloured PCBs

Both the inspection and soldering are the issue with fine pitch
components.  A FTD232RL's pins blend so well with the copper and the
khaki board even under a magnifying lens.

I had a spare green PCB template board - even without the lens, I could
see what I was doing.

I have read about tin-plating the board, and just as an experiment I
used some solder.  It made it easier to 'cement' the connection, but not
to see though.

Is there a paint that I might be able to use, even if all it does is
stain the board?  I have a collection of Tamiya, Humbrol, Revell, and
Testor enamel and acrylic paints.

Re: Multicoloured PCBs

No idea about staining fibreglass.

Why don't you just get properly made gold plated solder masked boards made
by someone like PCBcart?
Soldering is much less of a problem with the solder mask, and the gold
plated pads should provide better contrast with the tinned component pins.

Dave.

Re: Multicoloured PCBs

:
:I have searched Farnell and a few others, but I cannot seem to find
:green or other dark coloured copper clad boards.
:
:I realise that these may cost a bit more, especially for a hobbyist but
:where can these be obtain from?

There are FR4 materials in a couple of shades of green and I have seen it in red
as well. The only way you can get contrast to make it easy to see the tracks is
to specify that the pcb maker colour the copper tracks. For example, back when I
was specifying pcb's from various manufacturers back in the late 80's, I would
often specify a light green FR4 material with the copper tracks in black oxide.
This was extremely effective.

Re: Multicoloured PCBs

Never seen a khaki fibreglass board myself.

I had a Soltek PC mainboard that was a vey nice shade of purple !  Pity the
electro's all spewed their guts....

geoff

Re: Multicoloured PCBs

Most of the different colours are achieved using the solder mask which
may be either wet ink or dry film and is put on after the boards are
etched. These can be a variety of different colours.

Re: Multicoloured PCBs

This was solid purple right thru. I checked it when I broke it in half ( in
a fit of rage).

geoff

Re: Multicoloured PCBs

The OP is asking about different colours in the FR4 material itself, which
is fairly rare, but available. Most likely not an option at the hobby level.

Dave.

Re: Multicoloured PCBs

Thank you for all the responses.  Just as a test, I used heavily thinned
emerald green enamel paint, and using a dish cloth wiped it across the
surface.

The paint did not adhere to the copper, but it did stain the epoxy which
made it easier to see where the copper was.

I then used an electric fry-pan to heat the board so I could melt some
solder over the tracks.  This made it very easy to see what I was doing
when placing small pitch components.

Re: Multicoloured PCBs
? 2009?6?23???? UTC
+8??1:21:32?Wayne.???

Jiangmen ABQ Electronic Material Co.,LTD was estimated in the year of 2006.

specialized in the production of high-end photoimageable PCB ink.

We passed the ISO9001 quality standard identification.and ISO14001.

Our Main products:

PISM white colour RS-2000 (W series)for LED ( patent products ),

PISM white colour matt for automative (we have TS16949 certificate , in Eur
ope our RS-2000 WDM already be appointed to use in Automative industry,so t
here are a lot of PCB factory from china ,from korea ,from Thailand are buy
ing RS-2000 WDM for their Europe automotive order).

Electronica spray ink RS-2000 SP(our electronica spray ink is sucessful in
Korea market already)

PISM green colour RS-2000GL

PISM other colours RS-2000 BL,K,Y,R ,and others.

$UV cured solder mask UV-1000 G green colour

UV cured solder mask UV-1000 W white colour

Etching ink RS-1200,RS-1280,RS-8580

UV etching ink UV-680,UV 690.

Conduction current carbon ink RF-1860

Low pressure coating ink:RS-2000 BDHF

Marking ink.

All of our products are approved by UL ,(UL filenumber :E-310593).

Main customers in china :Founder technology ,Tiger builder ,Red board ,KB

,mankun and so on.

Due to we are setting up a new factory ,the total produce capacity will

reach 800tons per month.

In order to meet the new capacity we must develop oversea market largely

with very competitive price.

Our oversea market is developing very fast on the basis of our competitive

price ,stable quality ,excellent service.

Now our oversea market is :korea ,russia ,india ,parkistan,saudi,brazil

,usa,vietnam,turkey,Iran,malaysia and so on.

Consindering the cost ,now more and more PCB manufacturers choose china

mainland PCB ink supplier.

Now we are developing your market,so if we can get cooperation chance from

you then we will be very much appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing from you and best regards.

Mrs. Wang

Export  Manager

Jiangmen ABQ Electronic Material CO.,LTD

Facebook:    https://www.facebook.com/abq.pcb.ink

Video:            https://youtu.be/iZEE5h3H6Dg

Web:                http://www.jmbq.com.cn

E-MAIL:           snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com | snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com