Miniature motion detectors exist?

Hi guys,

I would like to know if anyone has come across a miniature motion detector
of some sort that is small and can be easily hidden.  Up to 3 metres in
range is fine, and I'm not too concerned about angle and it doesn't need to
be body heat activated.  It won't be hooked up to an alarm system or
anything, but just for personal use to alert me if someone approaches it.
By the way, I am not interested in LDR circuits as they are too sensitive to
light changes. Neither am I interested, really, in anything requiring
reflectors or anything on the other end of the "beam".

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Jason.

Re: Miniature motion detectors exist?

Try here
http://www.ozitronics.com/images/kc7786.jpg

3 connections 5V,0V,signal

Cheers.

Re: Miniature motion detectors exist?

Thanks Chris,

I think you have solved my problem, and I might add that the website looks
quite interesting too (might find other nice gadgets there too!).
If anyone has any other suggestions, please don't hesitate to reply to this
thread.

Thanks again.

Jason.

Re: Miniature motion detectors exist?

Depends a lot on the situation.  We've used microwave motion detectors above a
ceiling to detect personnel below.  Ceiling sheet didn't attenuate too much.

Re: Miniature motion detectors exist?

Yes, I've seen those earlier today.  A.k.a "ultrasonic detectors".  I think
these would work well actually!
I've found that Jaycar Electronics and lots of other places sell them, and
the sensitivity can be changed easily, and they're not too expensive.

Thanks
Jason.

Re: Miniature motion detectors exist?

BZZZZZT!  Wrong.     microwave <> ultrasonic.

Ultrasonic would have serious problems passing (twice) through ceiling board.

Re: Miniature motion detectors exist?

True. But in my scenario, the "ultrasonics" would just be placed somewhere
below the ceiling like under a bench top, so it wouldn't be passing through
ceiling board anyway. Thanks for the correction. As you can tell, I'm not
exactly an expert at motion detectors.

Site Timeline