Microbee Computers are Back - Page 2

Re: Microbee Computers are Back

Is this a horses for course comment?
Do you have any figures on the current percentage implementation of Cobol?

Re: Microbee Computers are Back

If it is above zero, it wouldn't be by much.
COBOL was such a forgiving language that, in its day, thousands of
programmers who should have starved to death paid off mortgages and raised
families.

Re: Microbee Computers are Back
It's so easy even I can use it

--

Re: Microbee Computers are Back

Mmmmm, I suspect a lot of people are fooled by the fact that it doesn't
figure much in contracts/jobs. i.e. all new code is written in something
else so cobol is dead.

..then they retired and left a mountain of code to be maintained and a
single mention of exposure to cobol in my resume brought continual
offers of cobol contracts(until I removed it).

If it ain't broke, then you don't fix it* and that cobol code was doing
a lot of the back office grunt work and it stayed there until it
couldn't be patched anymore and they found the millions to replace it.

I would be too surprised that in the banking and financial services
world, that there isn't a mountain of it still sitting there quietly
processing data.  It might be the real reson why we don't have instant
cheque clearance.

*I worked in one financial institution where they had a large
refidgerator sized small mainframe sitting there doing zip/zilch/nada
all day except for a single international dialup to collect a handful of
numbers each night. It wasn't just that any other machine in the data
centre or a PC could have easily taken on the job, but the fact that
they didn't have the OS security rating. so it stayed.

Re: Microbee Computers are Back
You'd be surprised, the big banks still have a lot of COBOL embedded in
their back office applications

Re: Microbee Computers are Back

The problem with this system is that if they are only making 100 of
them, there isn't going to be much of a community to support and
innovate with them, especially with the newer side of it (coldfire
processor and its linux system)

There is the Maximite that is the same sort of thing, but does not
have the coldfire processor (or similar) so is not Linux compatible or
colour display.

Not Z80 though, but not much is these days.

The good thing with this is that it is fully open source, a shitload
of them have been sold, built, and there is a solid community
developing with them.  Also VERY cheap, especially if you use an old
keyboard/monitor with it.

Finally, if you come up with a project that you like and want to use
full time, you only have to buy another kit for about $70 and use it
for that dedicated purpose.  If it only needs to be simple, you can
just buy the chip and make up the hardware for a lot less.

Re: Microbee Computers are Back
That is where I see the major limitation. 100 is a miniscule number but
that may be just a number dragged out of thin air in order to test the
water. If the unit is successful, they may continue with other
production runs though there is no mention of that on the website.

I'd be more inclined to the Maximite to tinker with.

--

Krypsis

Re: Microbee Computers are Back

Don't need a Coldfire processor to be run uCLinux. There's even an Atmel
dev board that runs it and has a complete toolchain for development
(NGW100 board). Has two 10/100 network ports.

Or a PIC32 dev module, which is also good enough to run uCLinux.

Re: Microbee Computers are Back
on and program? Has some interesting I/O

Sure, MaxiMite & DuinoMite:

DuinoMite is a Maximite Compatible Basic computer, originally designed by Geoff
Graham, with additional features and
Arduino like layout. DuinoMite allows you to program in the BASIC language and
have VGA and Keyboard interface, so you
can develop and write your code in Basic without need of any computer. You can
store your code on the SD-CARD and to
execute it on power up through autoexec.bas main code.

Prices start at $33
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/the-maximite-computer.html

Cheers Don...

--