Mains power strips

Saw a mains power strip that I had seen previously in one of the
fancy houses segments on Current Affair or Today Tonight etc.

Basically a long strip that you can plug individual power points
into by plugging them in and rotating them roughly 90 degrees.

They would be ideal instead of plug boards where you have lots
of stuff plugged in like in the cluster of PCs and their hardware etc,
solving the problem that you cant always use all the sockets on
the very long plug boards because the power packs are too big
and the sockets arent spaced far enough apart to plug them all in.

Not that easy to use google to find what I want.

I know its out there.

Re: Mains power strips

**It may not be. Like many such inventions, it may never have gone into
production. That said, I recall seeing it on The Inventors a few years back.
A diligent search through the ABC archives may elicit some more information.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Mains power strips

I know it is.

I know it did. The segment was showing flash houses, does
that every week, and this particular house had it installed.

I have since found one, but its not a local product, tho it does
have a local agent and our power points are there in the video.
http://www.eubiq.com/index.php?id27%0

Yeah, so do I now that you mention it.

I need something buyable.

Re: Mains power strips

http://www.eubiq.com/index.php?id=3

http://updates.clipsal.com/clipsalonline/Files/Brochures/W0001282.pdf

http://www.mainlinepower.com /

http://www.yankodesign.com/2009/07/16/cleaning-up-the-wire-mess /

http://www.gilbertlodge.com.au/www2/about-us/news/113-mainline.html

Re: Mains power strips

Thats the one I found myself.

Couldnt find that on the clipsal site. Thanks for that.

Thanks for those, I'll chase them up.

Re: Mains power strips

Has been around for a couple of decades.

Re: Mains power strips
@mid.individual.net:

Could have sworn I've seen these at Bunnings.
But I could be mistaken...

Dave.

Re: Mains power strips

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Re: Mains power strips

Yeah, the local Bunnings doesnt know anything about them.

Re: Mains power strips

Sounds like a lighting track.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Re: Mains power strips

Nar, its used anywhere you need power points.

Re: Mains power strips

Any reason you couldn't just go to a company that sells datacentre
equipment, and pick up a serious duty 9/18 outlet breaker-equipped power
strip instead?  Nice big mounting tabs too.

(Is the 'rotating them' thing to save space for plugging in annoying
things like oversized power supplies?)

--
Usenet Improvement Project: http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org /

Re: Mains power strips

Yep, 18 isnt enough when you allow for the fact that the bigger plug packs stop
each outlet being used.

That doesnt concern me. I built my own house and can fix that trivially.

Nar, its how they attach to the track. They still end up all oriented the same
way.

Re: Mains power strips

Think laboratory or industrial power supplies. I know the exact sort of
one you mean, but can not remember the name. Was very expensive.

OT: GPOs and plugpacks

That's one problem with plugpacks, another one is powerpoints on skirting
boards, particularly the low profile boards that are common in modern
houses. Is there anything such as regs precluding installing GPOs upside
down, with the earth pin on top?

Re: OT: GPOs and plugpacks
I do remember some discussion in E.A. or S.C. magazine about mains sockets being
upside down. From memory it is not allowed for safety reasons. I think it was
because the earth pin may disconnect before the other two pins.

Russell Griffiths.

Re: OT: GPOs and plugpacks

That sounds logical Russell.

The link below suggests the reason is that the earth is at the top is: "
Presumably the reasoning of having the earth pin at the top is that any
objects falling in between a partially withdrawn plug will touch the earth
and not the live pin." Other interesting stuff on the page anyway.

http://cool386.tripod.com/plug/plug.html

Re: OT: GPOs and plugpacks

"Griff"

** The earth pin on a "plug pak" is hardly ever used.

However, the centre of mass of a plug pak is usually below the earth pin
when fitted into a socket that has the earth pin down.

....   Phil

Re: OT: GPOs and plugpacks
being upside down. From memory it is not allowed for safety reasons. I think it
was because the earth pin may disconnect before the other two pins.

Apparently, some mains outlets in China use a similar pin arrangement as
Australian sockets, but they are mounted upside down (ie the earth pin
is at the top).  Presumably, the Chinese authorities had a reason for
doing so that they thought outweighed the reasons that Australian
authorities had for not allowing it.

Peter

Re: OT: GPOs and plugpacks

And a fairly typical case where there are pro's and cons either way, and no
real good reason to ban either AFAIK. Anybody can mount a wall outlet upside
down if they really wanted to anyway.

MrT.

Site Timeline