Homebuilt laser cutter pictures

Nothing beats a nice kinetic weapon like a gun for transferring energy to the target. I'd like to see some kind of backpack super capacitor or a kevlar flywheel/homopolar generator powering a railgun. One that runs for more than one shot though without exploding.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Hi Sam T, thanks for your kind comments. The laser I used was a secondhand one that I bought from a privavate seller, who removed it from some old scrapped medical equipment. I am told that it is a 20Watt, RF excited, folded cavity design. The laser cuts polystyrene foam very nicely and easily, but it is not high enough power to cut wood. I'm told that lasers are used in the furniture industry for cutting wood, but the laser power is 2000W or more (that's at least two orders of magnitude higher power than the one I have). Cheers, Tony

Reply to
Tony Burch

Hi Andy, the laser I used was a secondhand one that I bought from a private seller, who removed it from some old scrapped medical equipment. This was a one-off, but you may be able to find someone on the net who is selling second hand lasers. If you want a new one, maybe try

Does anyone else know suppliers for second-hand or new lasers? Cheers, Tony

Reply to
Tony Burch

Hi Par, thanks for your comments. The machine does cut slowly, maybe 10 minutes per 3mm thick sample that you can see in the pictures. Faster for thinner plastic. I haven't tried PCB. I think this wavelength of laser beam is reflected by copper. Cheers, Tony

Reply to
Tony Burch

Thanks Andy. Over time I'll make the pages more "dial up friendly". The first pass of the site was done very quickly. I'll also be adding some more details of the construction. Cheers, Tony

Reply to
Tony Burch

Thanks Heywood. Are you in Sydney? I can hire it to you:) Cheers, Tony

Reply to
Tony Burch

Reply to
Tony Burch

Find your self a copy of Name web editor , much easier ..

Reply to
Fester