Help with barking dog

Hi all, Is it legal to make and use an electronic device to stop or annoy
the hell out of a neighbours dog? I have a dog next to my computer room I
would like to make a device that only the dog would hear and make it silent.
Is this possable? If its possable I need to know the diagram, etc, to make
myself or can you by them?

Thanks
GK

Re: Help with barking dog

  not under any circumstances

I have a dog next to my computer room I
  you need to take a video and present it and a complaint to the council
after you have discussed the matter with your neighbour

Re: Help with barking dog

These devices seldom work as desired or as advertised.
Disagreements between neighbours almost never end well.
This irritating animal is probably someone's loved companion.
Industrial grade earmuffs are fairly cheap, comfortable, and effective.
If you think of earmuffs as a smart solution rather than a surrender,
everyone wins.

Re: Help with barking dog

Yeah sure, and in the prison shower block you can relax and enjoy Bubba's
gentle show of affection!         :)

Re: Help with barking dog

I obtained one on approval. Totally useless. It certainly didn't stop
the dog from barking. Whether it annoyed the dog into barking more was
difficult to tell, since the dog barked pretty much continuously anyway.

Sylvia.

Re: Help with barking dog

**What sort of device was it? I am aware of one type, that sprays an
unpleasant, but harmless, chemical near the dog's nose, every time it barks.
I know of a couple of people who rented these devices and they worked
perfectly. In one case, it only took a week. In the other case, it took two
weeks and the dog ceased barking. The other method I know of, but have
serious misgivings about, is a surgical procedure where the dog is
'de-barked'. I've seen the results of that too.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Help with barking dog

The device emitted a very loud ultrasonic noise which was supposed to be
unpleasant to the dog. The theory is that the dog recognises the link
between barking and the noise, and thus desists.

The device you're talking about has to be attached to the dog,
presumably by its collar. There are also devices, that I've had good
reports on, that administer a mild electric shock when the dog barks
(but bleeding-hearts got them banned in NSW[*]). However both such
devices require the cooperation of the owner, and such options are not
available of the owner is indifferent, or actually oblivious.

I eventually set up a microphone and sound activated recording software
and created a log which I sent to the council. Only then to learn that
the tenant was being evicted anyway.

[*] Apparently they are considered cruel, even though people have tried
the devices on themselves, and the shock is no more than unpleasant. And
the device is not as cruel as a brick through the dog's skull when the
neighbour is not looking.

Sylvia.

Re: Help with barking dog

**Talk to your neighbour. If that fails, talk to the local government. It is
easy enough to rent a device that fits around the dog's neck, that causes
the barking habit to be curbed significantly. Usually, they're available
from the local council or the local vet.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Help with barking dog

25 May 2010 12:31:29 GMT, writing in aus.electronics:

The only sort of action that is legal in Australia is to report the
barking dog to your local Council. They will probably ask you to record
a log of when the barking takes place and on the basis of what the log
contains they may take action.
--

 Erik

Re: Help with barking dog

Silicon Chip had a project for this a few years back.  You could look
up on their web page, search the net for their article, or buy the
issue or article from them direct

I don't know if it is legal or not, but as long as you don't make the
thing obvious, no one is likely to find out.

Having said all of this, I have no idea if the things work or not. We
sometimes have a barking dog next door, but I don't worry too much
about it, as at least it might give potential troublemakers second
thoughts about coming onto their or our property.

Re: Help with barking dog

Hi all, Is it legal to make and use an electronic device to stop or annoy
the hell out of a neighbours dog? I have a dog next to my computer room I
would like to make a device that only the dog would hear and make it silent.
Is this possable? If its possable I need to know the diagram, etc, to make
myself or can you by them?
Thanks
GK
____________________
Speak with the neigbour first. If no joy -
Ask to talk to the Local Laws officer in your Council.  You will have to keep a
log
of the times the dog barks and for how long.  After 2 weeks, give the LLO the
log.
Problem solved.  (???)  Good Luck!

Colin

Re: Help with barking dog

free software like audacity can make ultrasonic sounds, and you have a
computer right where it's needed.

Re: Help with barking dog

wrote as underneath my scribble :

I think I have somewhere a circuit for working a high power cheap piezzo
horn at ultrasonic F- would that be of any interest to you?
Charlie+