FPGA (?) Chip programmers, source?

i have some Gal16V8 (for better or worse) that I would like to be able to
program myself (rather than a long trip).

Can someone tell me where I can buy the hardware to connect to the PC to
programe these? Aus source preferrable.

<having a bit of brain jargon fart atm in searching for it>.

TIA

Re: FPGA (?) Chip programmers, source?

These are not FPGA's, they are Gate Array Logic (GAL/PAL) chips.

Do you just want to program them with a pre-compiled file?, or do you
want to actually design logic to program into them? Two different
requirements entirely.

Any decent "universal" programmer will allow you to program them.
Google and eBay are your friend.

To develop logic you need the Lattcie ispLEVER software:
http://www.latticesemi.com/products/designsoftware/isplever/ispleverclassic/index.cfm?source=sidebar

Dave.

Re: FPGA (?) Chip programmers, source?

Yes, have wincuply

Okay, that was the jargon I needed. the hard part seems to be
1) finding a model that has serial or parrallel interface and
b) finding someone who doesn't want paypal (so far).

http://www.latticesemi.com/products/designsoftware/isplever/ispleverclassic/index.cfm?source=sidebar

Thanks. I'll look at that later.Anything has to be better than wincupl.

Re: FPGA (?) Chip programmers, source?

What's wrong with USB?

What's inherently wrong with PayPal for payment? it's really no
different to any other credit card merchant facility. You don't have
to join PayPal to pay by credit card.

How do you prefer to pay for this thing?

Dave.

Re: FPGA (?) Chip programmers, source?

You haven't tried too hard it seems.
Two of the top 10 Google Australia hits for "universal programmer":

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=5&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.emona.com.au%2FPrices%2FSection%252014%2520Device%2520Programmers.pdf&ei6D%pXSOe6IIye8wT9iYihAw&usgAF%QjCNHwCk4pTj5Kqhh_CQoKVVWSjchViA&sig2=tQ549vXg5PZP4ncwaxWpvw
http://www.esis.com.au/Programmers/Programmers01a.htm

Both have parallel port models, and both likely accept payment methods
other than PayPal.

Dave.

Re: FPGA (?) Chip programmers, source?

Neither of these came up in my fisrt two pages from google. OTOH, my
google pages seem to totally ignore that fact that I want australian only
pages as well.
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=5&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.emona.com.au%2FPrices%2FSection%252014%2520Device%2520Programmers.pdf&ei6D%pXSOe6IIye8wT9iYihAw&usgAF%QjCNHwCk4pTj5Kqhh_CQoKVVWSjchViA&sig2=tQ549vXg5PZP4ncwaxWpvw

At those prices they should send a limo.

This is the same.

WTF is in these devices.

Thanks for your efforts, but I think I'll just drop the whole thing. This
is a $2 device and they want close to $1,000 to programe it. There are far
cheaper ways for me to do this.

Re: FPGA (?) Chip programmers, source?

You could try Galblast, the minimum effort option worked for me.
http://www.geocities.com/mwinterhoff/galblast.htm

Jim

Re: FPGA (?) Chip programmers, source?

Thanks.

Re: FPGA (?) Chip programmers, source?

You must be using a different Google, works for me every time:
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=universal+programmer&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr%3DcountryAU

Yes, it's called eBay, like I originally said.
You can get a universal programmer on there for $80 delivered to your door,
and it supports the GAL16V8:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ADVANCED-EPROM-FLASH-MPU-PIC-USB-Universal-Programmer_W0QQitemZ190228842216QQihZ009QQcategoryZ1504QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But seeing as that you have something against PayPal I guess that's not an
option for you...

Dave.

Re: FPGA (?) Chip programmers, source?

I'm just allergic to scum bags that I can not knee cap when they fob off
dodgy products.

I'm also allergic to giving anyone power to screw over my bank accounts on
their sayso.

And as previously stated, I prefer to buy Australian and ebay doesn't
require their sellers to be honest about where they reside.

Re: FPGA (?) Chip programmers, source?

There is absolutely no need to give PayPal your bank account details if you
are a buyer. You don't even have to join.

That's fine. Just don't complain about the Australian prices then.

Paranoia about being ripped off will only hurt yourself in the hip pocket.
Millions do it every day with few problems.

For $80 delivered you can hardly go wrong.
Be brave.

Dave.

Re: FPGA (?) Chip programmers, source?

This mob is Australian:
http://www.darkwire.com.au/html/device_programmers.html

Cheapest one is $139+postage

They even rent programmers if that's what you'd like to do.

Yes, they are USB.
Yes, credit cards via PayPal for payment.
But I suspect you won't find a better deal from an Oz supplier though.

Dave.

Site Timeline