EU to Band the Bulb Too !!

** Attention aus.electronics readers  !!!

Compact Fluoro Madness has overtaken the civilised world !!

( Good thing there is still an uncivilised one left  - eh ? )

The European Union is to phase out domestic use of incandescent lamps by
2009.

http://story.malaysiasun.com/index.php/ct/9/cid/b8de8e630faf3631/id/233220/cs/1 /

Tony Blair is all for it  ........

ANYONE  even slightly interested in this issue  MUST  keep an eye on Rod
Elliot's  " ESP "  special web page on the end of civilised lighting as we
once knew it !

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/incandescent.htm

This page regularly updated  &  represents your only

one stop  * WTF is going on *   CFL info site.

Compulsive reading.

Put it in your  " favourites "  list.

.......   Phil

Re: EU to Band the Bulb Too !!

Hi Phil,

Well, here I am basking in the warm yellow glow of a CFL for the
second time.

I bought one again yesterday just to try them out again after a few
years and went for the 23 watt = 125 watt type. It's not too bad I
think, the brand is 'Philips' (a good name at least), and a bonus is
that I don't have to buy those expensive yellow sunglasses that Bono
seems to require. I'll let you know what I think after a week or so
when my eyelids stop fluttering.

Re: EU to Band the Bulb Too !!

Pity the same can't be said about their products.

MrT.

Re: EU to Band the Bulb Too !!

Used to be, but they started the trend to be cheaper and nastier and
export local jobs.

Re: EU to Band the Bulb Too !!

you need to get a life.

http://story.malaysiasun.com/index.php/ct/9/cid/b8de8e630faf3631/id/233220/cs/1 /

Re: EU to Band the Bulb Too !!

"DMC"

** You need to get rodgered by a mule.

.......   Phil

Re: EU to Band the Bulb Too !!

  How well did you enjoy your last try philthy ?

Re: EU to Band the Bulb Too !!

            -----------------------------

**  And I wholeheartedly recommend it!!  But sore on the old date, but...

.... Phil

Re: EU to Band the Bulb Too !!

GOOD !!!!!!

F*ing morons in the world need something like this to force them to save the
planet.

The wankers in Auckland New Zealand and drying their cloths in a cloths
dryer when they would dry faster on the cloths line, no doubt the same
happens in a town near you.

[...]

** Try actually reading the web page -  you asinine kiwi, top posting jerk
off.

Re: EU to Band the Bulb Too !!

To try to enforce something like that in such a short time is iresponsible
f**k'n madness especially afer reading the link below.

I found it very informative too.  It seems that low pressure sodium is most
efficient but not so widely useful due to its yellowish colour. Maybe
there'll be some break through in this area before the 'madness' does far
worse than any good.

Mark K.

Re: EU to Band the Bulb Too !!

"Mark Kelepouris"

 ** Could not agree more.

** Most street lighting these days is either fluoro tubes or "high pressure
sodium".

The latter look quite white in operation, but rather pink or orange when
warming up.

Nearly all lighting in public places, offices, shops and workplaces uses
high efficiency lamps  RIGHT  NOW !!

It is only in the privacy of people's homes that incandescent lighting is
widely used and preferred.

......   Phil

Re: EU to Band the Bulb Too !!

True indeed.

They certainly do, 1,000 watt mercury vapour's are very common in factories
along side standard fluoro's for close up inspection etc.

Once again true and its in this area where we need a break through in
technology (not CFL's)  but some form of new vapour lamp that is as
efficient as the big buggers but instant and of the desirable colour. As I
read what i've just typed, its sounds like i'm describing bloody CFL's
anyway (lol)  f**ked if I know !
Mark K.

Re: EU to Band the Bulb Too !!

"Mark Kelepouris"

** Breakthroughs cannot simply be produced to order.

The humble incandescent is very close to an ideal lamp for most folk in most
home situations  -  CFLs simply cannot do what an incandescent lamp does by
its very nature.

The facile greenie claim that it is a significant waster energy when used in
people's home is plainly false  - it cool or cold weather it is not a waster
of heat at all.

.......   Phil

Re: EU to Band the Bulb Too !!

No they cant but i'm sure you would agree that a 'forced' major change over
to CFL's, will cost us heaps and this money would be better spent on
supporting R&D to develope an alternative thereby speeding up the arrival of
a 'breakthrough' that we all can agree on.

Still a long way to go with LED's but this may well be the future, as they
can be dimmed and any color can be obtained.

Btw i've done some experimenting with CFL's over the years and find the
Phillips 'Tornado' 23 watt series to be most impressive so far. The warm
white 1550 Lumen good for the lounge and the cool daylight 1450 Lumen for
say the kitchen is not too bad.  These have an instant turn on too.

Mark Kelepouris

EU to Ban the Bulb Too !!

"Mark Kelepouris"
 "Phil Allison"

** I do not agree there is a valid reason to ban incandescents from domestic
use.

 The humble incandescent is very close to an ideal lamp for most folk in
 most home situations  -  CFLs simply cannot do what an incandescent lamp
 does by its very nature.  So is  NOT  a substitute.

All the claims made about saving energy, money and reducing green house
gasses by changing to CFLs are phoney.

No trials have been done with them in the hands of ordinary consumers over a
period of time long enough to say otherwise.

If you live in NZ or Tasmania -  all electricity is non-greenhouse polluting
for a start  !!

Same goes for many other places aground the world.

For most folk and for most of the year,  the heat that CFLs do not produce
will HAVE to be replaced somehow.

How utterly asinine  !!!

A simple campaign to get folk to wear warmer clothing and let indoor room
temps be just 1 degree lower in cool weather would have a  FAR  greater
saving is energy use.

.......   Phil

Re: EU to Ban the Bulb Too !!

What might be the position in China and India, where one or two more people
live, you incredibly fuck-witted, sheep-shagged, toaster-boy from Summer
Hill.

Re: EU to Ban the Bulb Too !!

I think you will find that china and india are mostly nuclear now.

Re: EU to Ban the Bulb Too !!

Shudder... I hope we dont have to go there....and I dont think we will.
Having as much coal as we do, one would hope that we will also direct as
much financial assistance as possible towards cleaning up the filthy output
of it's burning and slow down the selling of it and natural gas to those who
use it to make cheap crapp and sell it back to us.  That way we can stay
nuclear free and be self sufficient in power production.

Mark Kelepouris

Re: EU to Ban the Bulb Too !!

See http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/chinaenv.html .  I think you will find
that the contribution of  NZ or Tasmania to saving the planet from
greenhouse pollution is almost incalculably irrelevant. You can't say that
for either China or India. Well, *you* could, but you're a fuckwit.

Site Timeline