Electrical licensing FWIW. - Page 3

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

Cables can be laid without fixing if certain rules are complied with.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't include just laying them loose across the
tops of the ceiling structure and insulation batts where they're likely
to be trodden on and tripped over by anyone who's in the roof space.

Sylvia.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

That's how its done in QLD, every house I've seen including mine which
is only 1 year old.

Tom

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

No doubt, because it's quickest and therefore cheapest. But most of the
roof space is deemed to be a place where wiring is likely to be
disturbed, because there's more than 60cm of vertical space. The wiring
rules manage to be rather vague about the ramifications, but wiring laid
loose across the structure and batts is clearly subject to potential
damage that the rules require be protected against.

Sylvia.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

Agree, In QLD I have been in many ceilings, and wire is always laid
loose across battens.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

In Darwin it gets even better.

They sling from pillar to post (without a catenary).

It must be some sort of tropical syndrome. but on further analysis it
does make sense ,in terms of thermal constraints.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

It can not be laid across battens or joists where it can be trodden on
but If you nail bits of wood across the joists you can lay it between
the bits of wood

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

Don't know what the regulations say but from my observations I've never
seen bits of wood or anything in QLD.

Tom

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

So much for the idea that you need to employ a professional to have it
done safely.

Sylvia.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.
My understanding the electrical work like all cable should not be placed
on the ceiling in new construction or additions , certainly with
commercial work it is now so so I would expect domestic to be the same
now in Qld

--

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

I have noticed that most people now, especially younger ones seem to
have little
in the way of common sense or interest.  Most would have to be
supervised the entire
time in order to ensure nothing goes wrong.

Another common thing now is that if someone does something wrong on a
job, even an
obvious thing, and you instruct not to do it, you will find that the
next hour they will just
do it again, you tell again, they do again. It gets to the point of
really having to go off several times
just to get it through their thick skull.

I hate it.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

subcontractors often aren't paid well enough to do a good job.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

That's no excuse. If they can't do the job properly for the amount
offered, then they shouldn't accept the contract.

Sylvia.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

Right, if only they did so. If only ALL businesses and contractors were
honest. Would make life so much easier.
I won't hold my breathe!

MrT.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.
Of course they are , doing it right is usually faster than coming back
to fix it

--

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

Except that most of the time shoddy work won't be picked up by the
customer, and they'll get away with it.

Sylvia.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

It would be to check if there are any mains earths still connected to
the water main as this was common practice
in the days of galvanised water pipe. Later they a separate earthing
stake due to the widespread use of non-conductive
PVC pipe for water.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.

Yawn, who hasn't been done over by someone squarking "safety".
highly restricted trade leads to high prices and low quality work.

Re: Electrical licensing FWIW.
On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 10:15:52 +1100, terryc

Of course, someone of your calibre would be well acquainted, if not
informed, about the current protocols of CPR.

Might be a good idea to polish your pathetic preferred predilection.

Site Timeline