Bye Bye Radio Shack

We've never had Radio Shack here in Oz, it's always been called Tandy, but
this might be important for you US folk - Radio Shack is now simply "The
Shack":
http://www.edn.com/blog/980000298/post/1250047525.html?nid34%03

Dave.
Re: Bye Bye Radio Shack

In the off chance that it's been missed ( Google doesn't show and
hits on these newsgroups)

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com /

--
Les Cargill

Re: Bye Bye Radio Shack

Yes, very cool.
I used to have a massive collection of the Australian Tandy Electronics
monthly flyers and yearly catalogs, but I foolishly threw them out in a
clean-up many years back now.

Dave.
Re: Bye Bye Radio Shack

  It is on its way out, because all it carries is "the shit", and I don't
mean the gang boy retard meaning either.

Re: Bye Bye Radio Shack

What about RS Components?

Herc

Re: Bye Bye Radio Shack

Why do you ask??
I do not believe there is any connection between RS Components  and Radio
Shack.

RS was Radio Spares I think and always sold components that were far too
expensive and higher quality than anything Radio Shack/Tandy ever sold.

--
John G.

Re: Bye Bye Radio Shack

uh ok

Herc

Re: Bye Bye Radio Shack

RS was Radio Spares, are a different company and still sell components.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web /

Re: Bye Bye Radio Shack

Owners: "We've totally screwed up the company so that people are
making jokes about us.  What we sell is complete junk and our sales
help are completely useless.  Can you help us?"

Marketing consultant: "Yes change your name.  Now where's my check?"

Re: Bye Bye Radio Shack

Can you imagine these guys being able to design and manufacture in house
a product of the same scope and complexity as a modern TRS-80 computer?.

Do they even have design staff anymore?.

Re: Bye Bye Radio Shack

Wouldn't surprise me if the TRS-80 was devised and implemented by another
outfit totally, then purchased by Radio Shack and marketed. They might have
purchased the outfit complete with some level of tech support, or if they
were dumb, just obtained the box itself with enough information to replicate
it.

Re: Bye Bye Radio Shack

  It was designed in house and the in house experts expected it to fail,
then they would use it for stock control

http://www.pc-history.org/tandy2.htm

Re: Bye Bye Radio Shack

The TRS-80 was a fluke. I hear they designed it for their own accounting
department, and when it was finished someone noticed it was a Great
Computer, and that they should sell it. It _was_ a great computer (fully TTL
and all), but that was by accident.

Re: Bye Bye Radio Shack

  I just saw my first The Shack tv comercial.
It showed adigital camera taking a picture of a Radio Shack store, then when
the camera diplays the picture it is The Shack.
                                     Mike

Re: Bye Bye Radio Shack

That's simply the camera using a usefulness filter where anything useful
has been filtered out.

Site Timeline