Bye Bye Radio Shack

We've never had Radio Shack here in Oz, it's always been called Tandy, but this might be important for you US folk - Radio Shack is now simply "The Shack":

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

In the off chance that it's been missed ( Google doesn't show and hits on these newsgroups)

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Yes, very cool. I used to have a massive collection of the Australian Tandy Electronics monthly flyers and yearly catalogs, but I foolishly threw them out in a clean-up many years back now.

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

It is on its way out, because all it carries is "the shit", and I don't mean the gang boy retard meaning either.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

What about RS Components?

Herc

Reply to
|-|erc

Why do you ask?? I do not believe there is any connection between RS Components and Radio Shack.

RS was Radio Spares I think and always sold components that were far too expensive and higher quality than anything Radio Shack/Tandy ever sold.

-- John G.

Reply to
John G.

"John G." wrote >

uh ok

Herc

Reply to
|-|erc

RS was Radio Spares, are a different company and still sell components.

Andrew Holme

Owners: "We've totally screwed up the company so that people are making jokes about us. What we sell is complete junk and our sales help are completely useless. Can you help us?"

Marketing consultant: "Yes change your name. Now where's my check?"

Reply to
MooseFET

Can you imagine these guys being able to design and manufacture in house a product of the same scope and complexity as a modern TRS-80 computer?.

Do they even have design staff anymore?.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Wouldn't surprise me if the TRS-80 was devised and implemented by another outfit totally, then purchased by Radio Shack and marketed. They might have purchased the outfit complete with some level of tech support, or if they were dumb, just obtained the box itself with enough information to replicate it.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

It was designed in house and the in house experts expected it to fail, then they would use it for stock control

Mark Harriss

The TRS-80 was a fluke. I hear they designed it for their own accounting department, and when it was finished someone noticed it was a Great Computer, and that they should sell it. It _was_ a great computer (fully TTL and all), but that was by accident.

Reply to
sv07171024

I just saw my first The Shack tv comercial. It showed adigital camera taking a picture of a Radio Shack store, then when the camera diplays the picture it is The Shack. Mike

Reply to
amdx

That's simply the camera using a usefulness filter where anything useful has been filtered out.

Reply to
Mark Harriss