ATX PSU mods

Hi all,
  Have been looking at the article in SC re converting AT power supplies
to 13.8V bench supply. Has anyone done this with an ATX supply? In
addition to being able to get 13.8V @ 20A, I'd also like to modify one
to give around 28V @ whatever current it can produce - preferrably >15A

Alan

Re: ATX PSU mods

Build two, and wire in series. You will have close enough to 28V at 20A. You
will need to isolate the PCB from the case off one of the power supplies.

Re: ATX PSU mods

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:25:54 +1000, Alan Peake
composed:

I can't see that an ATX PSU would be any different, except that you'd
need to either short the PS_ON pin to ground permanently, or install
an SPST switch to switch the PSU on and off.

-- Franc Zabkar

Re: ATX PSU mods

In an ATX PSU, the "on" signal is momentary - so a fixed wire or toggle
switch won't do. A push-button would sffice.

Re: ATX PSU mods

Actually a fixed wire "does" fine.

Re: ATX PSU mods

finger to keyboard and composed:

The case button is momentary, but the motherboard's PS_ON output is
not.

See http://www.pavouk.comp.cz/hw/en_atxps.html

When I power up a new system for the first time, I use a jumper wire
between the PS_ON and Ground pins. The only load connected to the PSU
at this time is an expendable HD.

-- Franc Zabkar

Re: ATX PSU mods

http://www.epanorama.net/links/psu_switching.html

Re: ATX PSU mods

Ah! Excellent - just what I was looking for - Google never found it though.
Alan

Re: ATX PSU mods

Yes it did , under ham atx converted power supply :)

Re: ATX PSU mods

Damn! Why didn't I think of that :)

Site Timeline