A Mythbusters moment ...

** Hi again,

having tested that 1.1 metre length of 10 amp rated extension lead to see
just what level of current it could pass while remaining within a safe temp
limit  -  it seemed I should adopt the philosophy of Jamie and Adam
Mythbuster and test exactly how much current it takes to  ** COMPLETELY
DESTROY ** the same cable.

With a 50 amp capability on hand, I figured it just had to be tried  !!!!

Remember, 24 amps caused the cable to reach its safe rated temperature of
75C.

When stepped up to 30 amps, there was still no sign of the cable demising
any time soon.

At 34 amps it was getting damn hot -  too hot to touch, but still persisted
in working OK.

Finally, at a current of 43 amps and a surface temp of about 180C, wisps of
smoke appeared and large, ugly bubbles began to grow on the cable like
blisters  PLUS  where I had soldered the blue and brown wire ends together -
the solder melted.  I decided to call it quits.

The cable now looks very sad and sorry indeed and has a dead short inside it
somewhere.

But I can still report that there are no exposed conductors visible.

....   Phil

Re: A Mythbusters moment ...

Did you video it for Dave?

Re: A Mythbusters moment ...

"It's a piece of *shit*!!!"

Re: A Mythbusters moment ...

I'm coming up to my 100th episode were I'll probably do a recap from each
one. Will be interesting to see how many times that phrase comes out!

Dave.

Re: A Mythbusters moment ...

Keep it up, it's entertaining & I learn the odd thing! Maybe go to
fortnightly so you don't runout/burnout.

Re: A Mythbusters moment ...

 I have an IEC power cable that has 10A stamped on it at least several
times.  Taking it apart (I have a couple of them), shows there are 22
*very* fine stands of wire (too fine to measure on calipers alone, and
still too fine to wind around a cylinder to multiply the thickness and
then divide down.

 At the end of the day, I *know* what a 7.5A, and 10A KMart cable looks
like on the inside, and this is NOT anywhere in that realm.

 It's clearly a chinese fake, I don't give crap who says what, you can't
defy the laws of physics just by stamping a different number on the cable.

 I'm happy to donate that cable to the cause.  I don't have a power
supply on hand with that much juice capability.

Re: A Mythbusters moment ...

"John Tserkezis"

** Where did it come from ?

K-Mart ?  Woollies ??  Coles??

No ?????

Lemme guess  -  along with a private imported product direct from Hong Kong
or China.

The IMPORTER  is the person who is liable for making sure any electrical
leads supplied with equipment are legit and have the required safety
approvals.

There is no authority to complain to when YOU are the culprit.

....  Phil

Re: A Mythbusters moment ...

 Nope.

 This one in particular came from a yumcha computer retailer here, but
the same goes for eBay crap as well.  I've seen it all round.

 In this case, I'm not the importer, but you seem to splitting hairs here.

 Crap is crap no matter where you get it from.
 I don't give a flying crap where the legal blame finger is pointed, it
doesn't make a squat of difference to me.
 I'm still getting crap in a box. Either way.

Site Timeline