A Mythbusters moment ...

** Hi again,

having tested that 1.1 metre length of 10 amp rated extension lead to see just what level of current it could pass while remaining within a safe temp limit - it seemed I should adopt the philosophy of Jamie and Adam Mythbuster and test exactly how much current it takes to ** COMPLETELY DESTROY ** the same cable.

With a 50 amp capability on hand, I figured it just had to be tried !!!!

Remember, 24 amps caused the cable to reach its safe rated temperature of

75C.

When stepped up to 30 amps, there was still no sign of the cable demising any time soon.

At 34 amps it was getting damn hot - too hot to touch, but still persisted in working OK.

Finally, at a current of 43 amps and a surface temp of about 180C, wisps of smoke appeared and large, ugly bubbles began to grow on the cable like blisters PLUS where I had soldered the blue and brown wire ends together - the solder melted. I decided to call it quits.

The cable now looks very sad and sorry indeed and has a dead short inside it somewhere.

But I can still report that there are no exposed conductors visible.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Did you video it for Dave?

Reply to
Swanny

"It's a piece of *shit*!!!"

Reply to
kelly

I have an IEC power cable that has 10A stamped on it at least several times. Taking it apart (I have a couple of them), shows there are 22

*very* fine stands of wire (too fine to measure on calipers alone, and still too fine to wind around a cylinder to multiply the thickness and then divide down.

At the end of the day, I *know* what a 7.5A, and 10A KMart cable looks like on the inside, and this is NOT anywhere in that realm.

It's clearly a chinese fake, I don't give crap who says what, you can't defy the laws of physics just by stamping a different number on the cable.

I'm happy to donate that cable to the cause. I don't have a power supply on hand with that much juice capability.

Reply to
John Tserkezis

"John Tserkezis"

** Where did it come from ?

K-Mart ? Woollies ?? Coles??

No ?????

Lemme guess - along with a private imported product direct from Hong Kong or China.

The IMPORTER is the person who is liable for making sure any electrical leads supplied with equipment are legit and have the required safety approvals.

There is no authority to complain to when YOU are the culprit.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Nope.

This one in particular came from a yumcha computer retailer here, but the same goes for eBay crap as well. I've seen it all round.

In this case, I'm not the importer, but you seem to splitting hairs here.

Crap is crap no matter where you get it from. I don't give a flying crap where the legal blame finger is pointed, it doesn't make a squat of difference to me. I'm still getting crap in a box. Either way.

Reply to
John Tserkezis

I'm coming up to my 100th episode were I'll probably do a recap from each one. Will be interesting to see how many times that phrase comes out!

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Keep it up, it's entertaining & I learn the odd thing! Maybe go to fortnightly so you don't runout/burnout.

Reply to
kelly