3.5 mm -> XLR adaptor?

I want to make an adaptor cable which has a 3.5 mm stereo plug on one
end and a male XLR plug on the other end.

The XLR socket (which the cable will plug into) is a microphone input
and I want to be able to connect a CD/mp3 player to it via the adaptor
cable.

So, how do I wire it?  And, do I need to include any components?  I know
most microphones are between 100 - 600 ohm and speaker outputs are much
lower like 8 or 16 ohm.  Will I need to add a resistor or whatever to
match the mp3 player to mic. input?

TIA

=Z=
Re: 3.5 mm -> XLR adaptor?

XLR pin 1 is ground, pin2 is hot, pin 3 is cold.

The XLR input is a mono signal, so you will need to use 2 inputs to
connect the stereo output of the CD/MP3 player, each with an XLR
connector. One XLR connector is wired to the 3.5mm plug tip, the other
to the ring. The sleeve of the 3.5mm plug is ground.

Since you won't be using balanced inputs, connect the cold pin of the
XLR to the ground pin.

The you will need to adjust your input trim to handle the line output
from the CD player without overloading the input.

Re: 3.5 mm -> XLR adaptor?

I would think that only one XLR plug would be needed if the amp is only
mono.
Connect a 100 ohm (not sure about the value) resistor in series with
the tip and ring of the 3.5mm stereo plug.
Join the resistors together and connect to pin 2 in the XLR plug.

And as Swanny wrote, connect pin 3 to ground.

Russell Griffiths.

Re: 3.5 mm -> XLR adaptor?

On 29/12/05 23:28, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com uttered the following...

I'm using a 3.5 mm stereo phono plug - tip/ring/sleeve.  Do I run tip
and ring (L and R channels) together into one resistor or a resistor on
each then connect the resistors to pin 2?  When you say "
not sure about the value" do you mean power rating?  What would you suggest?

Does the sleeve connect directly to ground?

One last thing, on closer inspection I find that the XLR socket I want
to connect to has 5 connectors not the standard 3.  From various sources
I found through google I see that pins 1, 2 and 3 are still used for the
same connections for a microphone.  Yes?

=Z=
Re: 3.5 mm -> XLR adaptor?

one resistor each...

It's generally bad to connect two audio outputs directly together,
 this is more true of loudspeaker outputs) but headphone outputs are
 often just small versions of loudspeaker outputs. and left and
 right count as separate outputs.

apropriate resistance... there's way too much power in the headphone socket to
send it all directly into the microphone input so it'll mean you need to run
it with the volume turned down... with casette players things like motor
noise tends to be more noticeable with the volumen turned down.  dunno about
mp3 players cpu noise?

for power rating anything should be fine (a common size is 1/4W)

no. to cold (pin 3)

if it didn't regular microphones wouldn't work with it.

are the extra pins for sterio?

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: 3.5 mm -> XLR adaptor?

Thanks for answering those questions Jasen, you saw them long before I
did.

Russell.

Site Timeline