15A pcb mount common mode choke in au

ANyone seen a commonly available version? Checked out the usual haunts, farnell and rs etc with no luck. Typical 250vac version as found in SMPS's. My next attempt is Braemac or perhaps Soanar, followed closely by constructing one myself.

Reply to
The Real Andy

"The Real Andy"

** Parallel two 8 amp ones.

Farnell: 388 -5537

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thats what I was trying to avoid :)

The design is for retired engineers (my father and his mates), so I am trying to minimise cost and pick as much from the jaycar cat as possible. Things are not looking to good so far from the PSU side. I need 2 200vdc (~500uF) electros, a common mode choke, X and Y caps, a high voltage FET. I am using the TL494, although i would prefer a unitrode SMPS controller. Sigh....

Reply to
The Real Andy

"The Real Andy" "Phil Allison"

** Yawn.

** The Farnell ones are only $5.60 each.

** Ever tried making silk purses .....

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Bifilar wind it yourself. Or make friends with a transformer manufacturer, and ask nicely. At 15A its gonna want a pull-winder (giant mechanised crochet hook)

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

The Real Andy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Do you live in Melbourne by any chance, could help with most of these parts cheap.

Reply to
Geoff C

** I hope you are not suggesting that adjacent enamel coated wires in a coil have the AC supply voltage between them ??

Commercial "common mode" chokes have the two windings well separated on the core.

............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

thats exactly what I am suggesting. triple-dipped wire, and flash (hipot) test each unit. That'll do IEC950 etc easily (BTDT, many thousands of times).

not a good idea (there's an understatement) with cheesy magnet wire from Jaycar though. Good point.

indeed. Very hard to balance them that way, leading to saturation at high DM currents.

when bifilar wound, the inter-winding capacitance forms a balance DM T filter. Dont get the start and finish close together though, it causes end-to-end capacitance that bypasses the choke (DM and CM)

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

** Then you are a dangerous LUNATIC !!!!

** You cannot be sure it will not fail short in service due to imperfections in the wire coating , corona discharge, the effects of heating etc.
** There is a reason - it it so the products using them can be type approved.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I am in brisbane, but i am happy to do it via post. I am at proto stage, but may need yet need unknonw quantites.

Email: a dot pearson at tpg dot com dot au

Reply to
The Real Andy

along with the rest of the power electronics industry :)

nevertheless, read the standards. Individual testing is permissible.

This is, after all, exactly what the CM choke manufacturers do. And there are plenty of magnet wires designed specifically for this purpose. UL listed too.

Your arguments are valid, but also apply to *every* aspect of the product.

Corona isnt much of an issue except at high E field, which usually only occurs with very high voltages and/or very pointy things.

mostly so they can use cheap single-dipped magnet wire.

Same reason COTS transformers have huge creepages and high leakage, vs a triple-insulated version with full bobbin coverage of each layer (no creepage) and low leakage.

the core should have a suitable coating too.

Cheers Terry the dangerous lunatic :)

Reply to
Terry Given

** Speak only for yourself - wanker.
** So you now agree you are not sure.

** Testing is not the only issue - as you damn well know.
** You misconstrue.

There are standards for insulation thicknesses, clearances, creepages and kinds of material *allowed* to be use where the AC supply is involved.

** That is utter bullshit.

Corona damage affects mains voltage items - particularly adjacent enamelled wires.

Your lack of basic knowledge is frightening.

** More utter bullshit.

Shove your loopy Kiwi ideas where the sun don't shine.

Reply to
Phil Allison