Where to buy USB flash memory sticks (UK)

They are.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to

I can recommend some "beautiful" "rare" "antique" sewing machines from eBay for that sort of task.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Actually I find Apple powerPC machines are excellent for that purpose

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IIRC Tandy shops were franchises of the US based Radio Shack company. And a name can be bought. The "about" page on tandyonline indicates they were related to a Tandy store/stores some how.

Agreed... B-)

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But have you looked? Tandy shops were always pricey compared to Maplin for components and when the shops disappeared the web was still in nappies. Got to admit I've never seen them on the first page of google when searching for a widget, nearly always some combination of Digikey, Mouser, CPC, Farnell, RS and Rapid. A widget that is more "maker" related will drag in Pi Hut, Pimoroni, Makersfy, Adafruit.

Well yes but it's not easy for the home hobbiest to use SMD's. So being able to buy a "ready to go" board for just a quid or two more than the main part itself is very handy. You can get generic SMD breakout boards but they aren't cheap and aren't "ready to go", you need to add any periheral components some how.

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think it attempts to imply it, without specifically saying it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Agreed, also the range is minimal compared to a real Tandy of the

1980s let alone the extended range in the Cambridge one (most of the stuff behind the counter downstairs was nothing to do with Tandy at all).
C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Well yes, I often search for electronic stuff on Google, nearly always buy it from eBay, Chinese or small UK sellers.

Just a couple of examples:

generic boards for 99p from a Chinese eBay seller

Reply to
Rob Morley

If you look carefully the actual product purchased is shown in small text just above the body of the review.

---druck

druck

I present the headquarters of Tandy Corporation Ltd:

Theo

Reply to
Theo

more

With 2 to 3 day delivery.

With 2 to 3 week delivery.

I have used Chinese eBay or Amazon sellers shipping from China/Hong Kong a few times and not had any problems. It's the long delivery time I dislike, so tend towards chinese sellers "fullfilled by Amazon" for stuff I can't find (at a sensible price) from a smaller UK supplier/CPC/Farnell.

If you have URLs for small UK electronic component suppliers post 'em. I'd rather use them than Amazon.

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Buy from Amazon, not just 'fulfilled by Amazon'.

Jamie Kahn Genet

I've had a few odds and ends from

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well that makes a change from a PO box in Delaware.

For some reason this talk about Tandy has caused me to wonder whether "The Radio Shack" is still going somewhere in Scotland - apparently the existence of this shop (and associated trade mark) was the reason we had Tandy in the UK instead of Radio Shack.

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

I've had good service from Rapid Electronics,

and, only slightly off-topic, if you need epoxy board in small amounts (304mm x 152mm sheets, 0.4-3mm thick) for building enclosures, mounting electronics etc, HobbyPlastic

is a good source.

My RPi is currently installed in a transparent octagonal Mozartkugeln plastic box on an internal structure made from 1.6mm and 0.8mm epoxyboard. A power socket plus the USB and RJ45 sockets are on cutouts on one side and a power switch is in a cutout in the opposite side.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

I'd suggest asking in uk.radio.amateur, but I'm far too nice to send anyone to that cesspit.

--
Mike Fleming
Reply to

I buy from

Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/
Reply to
Stuart

There's now a moderated group:

uk.radio.amateur.moderated

which is active and clean.

--
Cheers,
David

And very hard to post in.

--

Rick C
Reply to

On 09/03/2017 16:00, rickman wrote: []

Moderation isn't the fastest there, but I've had no difficulty posting on-topic.

--
Cheers,
David