Remove need for User & Password ?

I want to experiment on the rPi without a keyboard. It seems that if you could remove the need to keyin the User & Password, and that `login` just proceeded and gpm was running and lines of commands where visible on the screen, you could paste-in the initial commands off the screen.

The EOL to activate the CLI is also obtained from the screen. ! Oh crap, gpm needs keybrd to `copy`! There are some programs which mouse-copy without keyboard, and perhaps access shell via the mouse only. Probably several editors.

How would YOU setup to run without a keybrd?

== TIA.

Reply to
Avoid9Pdf

I have set up my keyboard-less machines to be operated by a remote control like this:

Or simply just to be connected to the network and operated through ssh. How the machenes are configured depends entirely upon their intended usage.

regards Henrik

hc351(at)poolhem.se Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Henrik Carlqvist

Well, yes: I DO try to word the 'Subject' for the essence of the topic, but the CONTEXT you've all just skipped/snipped. So here AGAIN:-------- I want to experiment on the rPi without a keyboard. It seems that if you could remove the need to keyin the User & Password, and that `login` just proceeded and gpm was running and lines of commands where visible on the screen, you could paste-in the initial commands off the screen.

The EOL to activate the CLI is also obtained from the screen. ! Oh crap, gpm needs keybrd to `copy`! There are some programs which mouse-copy without keyboard, and perhaps access shell via the mouse only. Probably several editors.

How would YOU setup to run without a keybrd? ======================= BTW rPi is a credit-card sized computer. Which can display on a TV [3rd world] via a RCA cable. I want it to be able to 'visit' TVs with just the PSU, mouse, card-CPU. This needs original thought. Not what you've-got-already. I've scratched around /etc/rc.D?S which seems to be near where the login is done.

NB. think minimalist. No network. The whole idea is to escape the bloat of the WinTel monopolists; not just adding more layers; the American infinite frontier is over boys.

== TIA.

Reply to
Unknown

Unknown contributed wisdom to news:kkjer3$h01$1@dont- email.me:

I have thought about the Raspberry Pi. Particularly when one of my favorite deep-strategy games started supporting it (Conquest of Elysium 3)and those devs might even make their deeper strategy game (Dominions 3) support it if there is interest.

Im not sure of the answer. You might look into some of the other raspberry projects where they are using them in stand-alone projects. Like the solar powered self-automated toy-sized boats going across the ocean collecting data, or up in balloons, or hidden in the deep woods vidcams.

I was having fun with thoughts about some of the creative input options. Like a wifi mouse, or an air mouse glove (hand motions only). Maybe see if Mobile Mouse can work with it (turns iphone or ipod touch into mouse for pc/mac. home theatre or presenter use). Or maybe that wand for a Harry Potter effect.

For keyboard I was thinking maybe a virtual "projection keyboard" that draws the keyboard on any desktop surface using weak laser lights. Or the gauntlet keyboard, or wrist keyboard. Or the one that is a watch. Hell Im even geek enough to get the tattoo. Or maybe just go for voice control. especially with subvocal recognition.

For creative input options look into new advances in "wearable computers". The idea of a credit-card sized full computer using those interfaces is mindblowing. (I just want it all waterproof so I can telecommute from a hottub)

Yes yes I know. I am way too into techno-mage thinking. We are quickly moving into an era where it does not have to be dry tech if it can be magical tech. :)

Gandalf Parker

--
I knew the future was coming.
But it seems to be coming faster and faster every day.

--snip--

You are starting from the rPi and considering how far FORWARD you can go; whereas I'm starting from a goal, and seeing how far I can simplify rPi's requirements to achieve the goal. So eg, with the minimal extra hardware HOW2:

  • view the output on your existing PC,
  • use rPi on a analogue-TV [I think you've all got digital TV in G8 now?] without a keyboard; so, be able to `paste` the input via mouse only. BTW ETHoberon can be run by mouse only, and you don't need to bob-yo-head-upNdown between keybrd & screen.

So what input can your ingenuity contribute to my requirements?

== TIA.

Reply to
Unknown

Mijnheer Glur,

Is there a good reas> You are starting from the rPi and considering how far FORWARD you can go;

Surely you must agree that common sense suggests that one first identifies the goal and its requirement and then buys the Ding Dong which is most suited to achieve that goal instead of just buying a Ding Dong from the medicine man and trying in vain to get it to do a job for which is not intended?

No you are not seeing that at all.

You are pestering other people to provide an answer to a problem which you have artificially created and for a solution which you never intend to implement.

--
   "Of all the white groups that are in South Africa, it is only the
    Afrikaners that are truly South Africans in the true sense of the word."
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
J G Miller

OK, see if you kiddies can follow this: rPi is a minimalist/credit-card-sized computer; if you were a racing-cycle enthusiast you'd be interested in some extreme criteria, which the normal obsese Californian would consider 'you never intend to implement'; AFAIK the need to login, is the bottleneck, which prevents the rpi from being used without a keyboard. Once I've logged in, I can design a setup to run via mouse only. Obviously there are MANY situations where some people would want to just have a rPi, mouse, mini-PSU in their pocket, and be just able to plug the RCA wire into the PAL-TV and fly.

BTW do you kiddies realise that going-in-foot-ball-herds, is what prevents you from being able to think out of the box? Which is why the herd-mentality promoted by FB/twitter is going to give bad results for the future.

And since, like pre-adolescent girlies, you are all obsesed with names, and personalities, why don't you move to the celebrities and social fora and leave this for the scientists & engineers.

Reply to
Unknown

On Wednesday, April 17th, 2013, at 17:29:46h +0000, Baas Chris Glur chided:

Well we may have to think very hard and it might be quite tiring, but here goes ...

Well yes, any fule kno that.

You mean like Lance Armstrong?

Yes you are correct -- 61,4% of Californians are obese according to

How many obese Californians have bought a rPi?

Are you here to continue in your "as far as I know" ignorance, or do you want to learn?

No it is not.

With most display managers it is very easy to configure them to use an autologin mode to a predefined userid, so there is no need to enter any password.

If you want autologin to a particular account on a virtual console TTY, this is also simple to achieve by replacing the getty with mingetty and configuring it for autologin.

See the details at

But in another thread on the same topic in comp.os.linux.misc and comp.os.linux.hardware, John Hasler has provided you with an even simpler rPi specific method way of doing this without having to install a different getty, as explained at

But do you honestly want an answer to your question, or now having been presented with an answer, are you going to resort to an irrational outburst of having to get a new Ding Dong?

No it does not.

People have been using rPi as a media center with XBMC with autologin and no keyboard and no mouse for some time now, details at

QUOTE

A remote control:

I you don't want to use a mouse and keyboard to control your media center once its set up, you'll need a remote.

UNQUOTE

But now when faced with real life accomplishments of other people doing what you claim you are trying to do, are you now going to ignore the facts and repost the same questions again in a slightly different form in other newsgroups in a few days to a week's time?

Yes, but herds of warthogs and wildebeest are even worse though.

Reply to
J G Miller

that's not particulary RPI specific, it'll work on any system using sysv-init, if you're not using a serial port you can avoid getty.

indeed, we're trialing one as a small server, no keyboard, no display.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

I've been using one for some time now, only has power, wifi dongle and webcam connected. It is configured for auto-logon and as soon as it's up I start the necessary programs via SSH. Last time it was powered up was 5 weeks ago, so reliability is excellent.

Reply to
Bob Martin

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 04:49:35 +0000 (UTC), Unknown declaimed the following in comp.sys.raspberry-pi:

Sounds like my -- still undone -- library cataloguing system...

It started in 1981, to be written on a TRS-80 Model III in BASIC, momentary touched on an application generator published in 80-Micro, then brushed the idea of the book "C Database Development"

(I had 1st edition) [which basically described a suite of programs which generated a C data access library based upon a relational schema definition], moved to an Amiga and the sequal book (C++...), then the Amiga version of Superbase. On to Windows and Access, an aborted attempt with Dabo years ago, aborted Django (0.96), etc.

I've gotten quite good at creating the schema in various RDBMs (JET, SQLite3, MySQL,...) but never actually got the application running. Hangups have been finding time to code the handling the insertion of author names (first last; last, first) with many-to-many intermediate tables (most everything else is one-to-many which isn't a problem).

If I were being paid to produce this application, I'm sure I'd have written it three or four times by now

Dennis Lee Bieber