Pi 4 Bullseye Desktop x64

often it does not exist so it is not possible to login to a shell as root at all until it is set

'sudo bash' was suggested by someone else - that should work I guess.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hello Ahem!

Friday March 04 2022 05:27, you wrote to me:

So using blank would not have worked - I did wonder afterwards.

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent Coen

Hello nev!

Friday March 04 2022 09:04, you wrote to me:

Thanks all done now ---- hopefully.

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent Coen

Hello Kees!

Friday March 04 2022 00:19, you wrote to me:

VC>> That's the problem - I can't log in as root using su or su - as I VC>> do not know the password.

As explained before - the installation tool will not allow a install unless logged in as root via su - sudo or sudo -s does not work.

All fixed now that I have set the root password.

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent Coen

Hello Tauno!

Friday March 04 2022 15:45, you wrote to me:

Seems my cut and paste across two editors messed up this is what is there :

Reply to
Vincent Coen

Your example is missing a backslash at the end of the second line, after 'exit 3;'.

After adding it, the example worked with straight sudo and changing to root with 'sudo bash'. It works on Raspbian and Raspi OS.

You are doing ther change to superuser too complicated. The installation should work with single 'sudo make install'.

Reply to
Tauno Voipio

All of my root ownership compiled binaries are installed with that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher