MIDI Recorder/Player

Hello, and thank you for pointing out those URLs. Again, these Linux apps are designed to run on PCs. They might also work OK on a r-pi but you'd probably still have to hook up a display/monitor of appropriate screen size. As I stated in a previous post my ideal would be an r-pi based device with the functionality and footprint of the "SD MiDi Controller" seen at

but at much less cost. Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood	            e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com
Reply to

Two points:

- you can run GUI programs on a headless RPI by enabling X11 forwarding on it provided that you logged in the the RPi from a system that is running a graphical X.11 server

- Adafruit sell 2.8" and 3.5" touch-sensitive TFT colour displays.

are Adafruit agents in the UK.

One of these may do what you want.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Hello, and those solutions diverge from my objective. I want to construct a small (something you could throw into a backpack), fast-booting, stand-alone, wall wart/battery powered box. It doesn't require a display of anything more than, say, a 2-line LCD display of about 25 characters/line to indicate the name of the MIDI file being played/recorded. Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood	            e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com
Reply to
J.B. Wood

you may need to investigate to see if there are any midi library's you can use to roll you own (python or perl should be good for this). the pi gpio is easily capable of driving a 2x16 display

--
The kernel license has expired
Reply to

Take a look at the Adafruit displays before dismissing them entirely. They are uncased and designed to mount on an RPi: the result is the same shape as any of the RPis except the Pi zero and around twice the thickness: if fitted to a Pi zero the result will be about the size of the display and maybe 5-9mm thicker. In either case it should be easy enough to find a suitable plastic or metal box to enclose it. Run that lot off a Li-ion battery boxed with a USB power outlet, aka a 'portable phone charger'.

Besides, using a graphical display may let you try a wider range of music playing/streaming programs.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Martin Gregorie

That's not part of the spec.

Reply to
Rob Morley

easier would be to installa vncserver on the rpi, and connect to it using a remote desktop application.

Bye Jack

Reply to
jack4747

Actually no it isn't (assuming you are connecting from another Linux box) X11 forwarding is normally enabled out of the box :-)

--

ha scritto:

ng a remote desktop application.

Much better quality and faster than VNC is RDP, which means you can also

access the RPI's desktop from PC's using the remote desktop client.

Install x11vnc (as it uses the current logged in session rather than creating a new session like some other VNC clients), then install XRDP. You need to set both to start as daemons if you want to be able to log in straight after booting up, rather than having to open an ssh shell and start them first.

---druck

Reply to
druck

But why add all the layers when you're already using a network based display system, ssh -X rpi.whatever and run anything you like in its own window to have the display traffic in an encrypted tunnel or just use xhost to allow direct access to the X server from the Pi. This approach worked fine 25 years ago or so using 10Mbps shared coax networks - it works even better today using gigabit switched networks.

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

The ``spec'' being it should look a lot like a walkman? A raspberry pi with a half-dozen buttons sticking out of the case and a 24 charactor lcd that uses impressivly little power with a play, rec, stop button and a way (button or wheel) to select the file and maybe midi channel?

Using timidty with parameters that works on 2ghz P4 systems over usb the lactency was unuseable for me (I am not a keyboardist. A good one could live with it (pipe organs can have the pipes up to 30 feet* or more from the keyboard => 30ms or more latency for the sound to get to the player.) Recording with a constand latancy would be OK but I don't trust it to be jitter-free.

I was using a GUI on either pidora or rasbian so it might have been better from a bare console, though I was also thinking of using an arduino to gather and timestamp the midi messages. With the messages time-stamped they can leasurly be sent to the pi or other host.

Don't remember if I plugged ccrma satellite in this discussion:

Ron

*sample size 1, Velda Rose United Methodist Church in Mesa AZ :-)
Reply to
colonel_hack