making a media client from a pi....

If running on the Raspberry Pi, there's not much need to compile Kodi as it's already available through any number of sources: Raspbian, OpenELEC, OSMC, etc. The same mostly applies to ordinary PCs if you substitute other distros for Raspbian.

That said, I recently replaced a Raspberry Pi 3 that had been running Kodi (most recently on Raspbian, and on OpenELEC before that) with a Rock Pi X running Gentoo Linux, and the latest version of Kodi compiled without issue on that. (Why the change? I wanted more streaming sources than just YouTube. The LBRY desktop app (an AppImage built for AMD64 Linux) runs on it, and unauthorized.tv works in Chromium.) The only remaining snag is that I think video is still timing out when I leave it for a few hours, and when I switch the TV back on it's running at 1080i with overscan, not 1366x768 (or whatever) without overscan.

_/_ / v \ Scott Alfter (remove the obvious to send mail) (IIGS(

Top-posting! \_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Reply to
Scott Alfter

Out of the box, the Raspberry Pi (any model) only provides hardware-accelerated H.264 decoding, and software needs to be written in a particular way to take advantage of it. Spending a few dollars on license keys enables MPEG-2 and VC-1 (?), but software support for those is likely to be even sketchier as I suspect few people go to the trouble. VP9 is always going to be software-decoded, which will likely be iffy on anything less than a Raspberry Pi 3. (A 64-bit OS might help...but last I checked, Raspbian is still a 32-bit userland.)

_/_ / v \ Scott Alfter (remove the obvious to send mail) (IIGS(

Top-posting! \_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Reply to
Scott Alfter

FWIW, it works pretty well with my Canon flatbed scanners: an LiDE 220 at home and an ancient N670U at work that doesn't work with any version of Windows newer than XP. Way back in the day, I was using it with HP SCSI flatbed scanners like the ScanJet 3c and 4p, and ISTR one of my newer HP all-in-ones worked for scanning as well as printing.

_/_ / v \ Scott Alfter (remove the obvious to send mail) (IIGS(

Top-posting! \_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Reply to
Scott Alfter

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 19:37:49 GMT, Scott Alfter declaimed the following:

They are basically for testing purposes, not production.

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

I too have had it work with ancient LIDE.

I have had trouble with HPO and Epson both.

FSVO 'worked'

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

? Confucius
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher