Give your Raspberry Pi a retro Windows makeover with Linux RaspbianXP Professional and Linux Raspbian95

Yes it does, it irritates me in innumerable ways but not by being unstable.

I've not seen one of those I like either. The environment I use is available on Linux and is just as rock solid and nice there as it is anywhere else - but it isn't modern.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Same here - I've got blue screen only 2x in 3 years on the Windows7 and none on the 10 so far. In some way it is the old sh*t polished, cleaned up and packaged in a new way.

I stick to TDE, can only recommend.

Reply to
Deloptes

My computer is not a tool, it's more similar to my workshop. And everone makes that fit his needs likes.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to

I just wanted to point out that Linux runs very stable as does the MATE desktop I use. I just find it sad that modern Windows desktops can not offer that stable environment, but I am afraid you did not get the point.

--
?But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!?
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Precisely - and if you work in someone else's workshop you get it set up the way they want it but if you're there for long enough they'll usually let you customise your corner a bit.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

More likely mutual adaptation.

--
-michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II:  http://michaeljmahon.com
Reply to

Doesn't seem to do virtual desktops (showstopper for me) other than that there's too much of it for my taste.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

I don't know where you looked or what you did, but VD is essential to any Linux desktop version I've seen so far.

For example this article from 2004 explains VD in KDE (now TDE)

if you look at the attached to the left I have two of them

Reply to
Deloptes

KDE still very much exists, Trinity Desktop Environment is a fork of an older version of KDE, pre-"Plasma", and using a fork of an older Qt framework.

I didn't know it and I appreciate the possible sentiment behind it of avoiding the Plasma bloat but to me it doesn't seem to have much future, with two big forks to maintain on its own. Of course that all depends on how many developers are & will be behind it. I am but a casual Linux desktop user but the fact that I never heard of it ...

Reply to
A. Dumas

I just glanced over some documentation on the TDE site - I didn't see it. I agree it's an essential.

Not my favourite approach - I like having a 'New Desktop' button. It looks usable but I prefer my flwm setup.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

No, someone *insulted* Linux *supporters*. What do you expect those supporters to do? Sit back and say, ?Oh, fair point. We *are* afwul people, after all??

--
Duncan Snowden.
Reply to

I'd take that bet (although I'm not sure it's one that could ever be decided definitively). Linux share on Steam is around 1%. Among English language users, i.e. excluding the Chinese market - where pirate copies of Windows are so ubiquitous that it's effectively free - it's about double that, and I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that the total desktop share will be somewhat higher than among gamers.

--
Duncan Snowden.
Reply to

This is a text only newsgroup, please do not post any type of attachment, or it could result in the group being dropped by news relays.

---druck

Reply to
druck

"stable" must be in the eye of the beholder. My employer requires I use a Windows 10 laptop. Here are a few observations:

1) Each morning, I used to launch Firefox and then Outlook. However, while Outlook was coming up, it would steal keyboard focus or otherwise foul up something and would cause the Firefox menus to vanish out from under me while I was opening new browser windows. 2) For years, once Outlook finally lumbered to full display, I would have to click on the little symbol ('>' IIRC) next to 'Deleted', because every morning Outlook would mistakenly believe there was a subfolder under 'Deleted'. After a forced switch to Office 365 a few weeks ago, I have to do that for 'Conversation History' _and_ 'Deleted'. 3) The past few mornings, between 2 and 4 of the messages I had sent sometime during the previous day have showed back up as zombies in the 'Drafts' folder. The messages I have checked on did get sent, but I have to clean out the 'Drafts' folder and hope all the messages actually got sent. 4) Oh, and about once every week or two, instead of booting up to Windows, I come back to my cube to find the monitor backlights on but the monitors all black, with no keyboard response. I have to hold the power button for 5 seconds to force poweroff and try again. 5) There are other issues, but that's enough for today.

Does that qualify as "stable"? IMO, it certainly doesn't qualify as productive, solidly functional.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Robert Riches

Interestingly I was thinking the same 10y ago. The stupidity (or is it on purpose) of KDE to not deliver stability keeps this project alive. Looking at the growing number of developers involved lately (example 5y. ago it was only 4-5 and now are about 20-25) is indeed surprising.

Well now you have heard :) It is a mystery like the gospels - you know who seeks will find etc. Perhaps you were too young in 2008.

Reply to
Deloptes

I'll agree (4) could be a Windows problem; equally it could be a hardware problem. (1), (2) and (3) seem to be Outlook problems, not Windows per se.

I have to go along with Deloptes, Windows 10 (at least on my laptop) is stable. I normally have Palemoon, Thunderbird, Brave and one or two virtual machines (VBox) running.

--

Chris Elvidge, England
Reply to

Still down to M$, though, and judging by what I see in El Reg, they're now using testing and bug reporting approach thats remarkably similar to most FOSS projects - OK for free stuff, a bit poor for a commercial product.

I've been entirely on Linux since around 2007 - my laptops were running RedHat Linux from 6.2 and on Fedora from its first release. At that stage my house server was running OS/9 on a 68020 chip - OS/9 v2.4 was without the most stable OS I've ever used - only IBM's OS/400 has matched the record in my experience - I've never seen a software crash or fault of any sort on OS/9 v2.4 and only stopped using it around 2008 when the hardware supporting it developed faults. At that point I replaced the hardware and switched over to running Fedora on the new house server.

Everything I use is now on Fedora 31 apart from my RPi, which is running Raspbian Buster. I've only two current problems (Pan, Palemoon and Brave

- see below) on any of my systems since installing Fedora 31 and Raspbian Buster, both about 6 months ago. All systems are updated each week and, except for the RPi which is only run as needed, are rebooted each week following the update.

Pan seems to be unmaintained currently but is still usable except that it corrupts a pointer to the NNTP server configuration once or twice a week. A dummy config update restores the pointer without losing the message I'm trying to post, so this is an annoyance rather than a showstopper.

PaleMoon has been good, but is looking increasingly unsupported.

Brave is slowly improving and is currently my default browser. I like its rendering speed and built-in ad blockers but it has two faults:

1) On starting it thinks its the default browser but hasn't bothered to tell Linux that its now the default, so clicking on an HTML part in a mail reader fires up Palemoon rather than Brave.

2) There's apparently no way of changing its default association between file extensions and the application used to handle that sort of file: as a result it won't launch Google Earth Pro from that 'select a mapping app' feature in Wikipedia.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org