Disk weirdness

Well it is probably the power supply TO the pi.

fully understood.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What model rPi is the O/P using, some are limited to 600mA on the USB port which is 3W (or 1200mA with some config) the SSD needs peak 4W so it it conceivably a power issue.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That may be so, but if so Samsung's nonsical answer is definitely wrong. There is no necessity to power any accessory *through* the pi and for any higher powered ones I'd avoid it as a principle. Of course for small low power ones the opposite is true as it makes life and setup much easier.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to

Thats what Richard (Kettlewell) said and I have learned to trust his judgement...

--
?Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of ?an airplane.?

Dennis Miller
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Of course it is wrong. - its basically saying FOAD it aint our problem.

Yup./ All of the above.

--
?Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of ?an airplane.?

Dennis Miller
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Adrian writes

Reading the various comments, I agree, it did seem a bit odd, but Ms Samsung was adamant.

However, I'm not sure that she understood what a PI was, or what the OS was either, but after a short pause to consult, I was told that it was incompatible, end of story.

Regarding the power supply, I did try it again this morning connecting via a powered USB hub, but I got exactly the same problem again, it was reported as being read only, then unmounted (and the mount point was rmdir'd), again at the 4% full point.

The PI in question is a 2B.

The SSD is now packaged up awaiting a trip to the post office, but I could still do with a new SSD, but clearly not a Samsung one (as they can't confirm that any of them will work).

Adrian

--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Did you try it through a powered USB hub?

--

-TV
Reply to

OK, so you have:

- an RPi 2B, which has one ethernet and two USB sockets

- a Samsung MZ-76E1T0B/EU 1 TB 860 EVO Sata III 64L V which has a SATA interface

... so, unless I missed seeing something about an adapter in what is now quite a long thread, you must also have some sort of adapter that has power output and a SATA socket on one end that connect to the SSD, and either a USB socket or an ethernet plug plus power connector on the other end that connect to the RPi.

Kindly describe this device, which even might be an external USB disk drive case for SATA disks.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

In message , Martin Gregorie writes

The SSD was in a case which acts as a SATA - USB adapter. Power for the SSD is provided via the USB lead, hence trying it via a powered hub.

Adrian

--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.
Reply to
Adrian

Makes sense.

Are you certain there are no defects in the disk case?

I've used PATA versions in the past without seeing any problems, but at the price of some brands, you do wonder just how good they are.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

No, but it is new. Not sure how I would test, I don't have anything else that I could test it with.

Adrian

--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.
Reply to
Adrian

Pity. I was hoping you'd have a spare HDD you could drop in. If that successfully stores the data the problem could be in the SSD. If both fail after around the same runtime, then the disk enclosure is likely to be the problem.

Did the enclosure get hot when it failed with the SSD installed? If yes, try it again, fully assembled but with any screws etc. that hold the enclosure together omitted so that when it fails again you can quickly whip it apart and feel round to see whether the SSD or the USB:SATA adapter is hot.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Are you _SURE_ the electronics in that case are fully compliant with the respective standards? I had some cases some years ago that produced enormous quantities of I/O errors in dmesg while doing full-speed sequential reads and/or writes. I suspect some of those cases are not fully tested on large sequential transfers, and perhaps Linux can send I/O requests faster (with less gap between) than that other OS.

HTH

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net

On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 16:24:49 +0200, Axel Berger declaimed the following:

To my knowledge, the R-Pi does not have a native SATA port. That means somewhere between the R-Pi and the drive is a USBSATA conversion circuit. That adds a third point for compatibility problems. {And possibly the Samsung rep just looked up R-Pi specs, saw it has no SATA port, and decreed the drive incompatible}

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

Also, unlikely but it occurs to me: what was the actual capacity level at which the device failed? There have been several iterations of SATA and older ones can't properly address newer devices.

Reply to
Roger Bell_West

In message , Martin Gregorie writes

No spare disks (and the HDDs that I've got are 3.5" anyway, so wouldn't work with the adapter). Had I thought about it, I might have been able to try the SSD in the adapter for the HDD that I'm using on another PI, but it is too late for that now.

No noticeable change in temperature.

The disk plugs into the connector, and then a lid slides on over the top, and it all appears to be secure, before connecting it up, I tried shaking the housing, and there was no sign of anything moving (and I looked inside again afterwards), so nothing obviously wrong with the assembly.

I'm gong to be off line for a couple of weeks, so I'll catch up with any further ideas when I get back. Thanks to everyone for the input.

Adrian

--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.
Reply to
Adrian

Hello Martin and others,

Thu. 18 Jul 2019, 19:03:46, Martin Gregorie wrote to Tauno Voipio:

MG> - an RPi 2B, which has one ethernet and two USB sockets

No, The Pi 2B has 1 ETH port and 4 USB 2.0 ports, same as Pi 1B+, 3B ans 3B+ The Pi 1B has 1 ETH port and 2 USB 2.0 ports. The Pi 3B, 3B+ and 4B also have BlueTooth and WiFi. The Pi A, Zero (W) and Compute models have less and different (smaller) ports.

Greetings from Henri.

Reply to
Henri Derksen

I'm now back online.

Suggestions are welcome for a suitable SSD ~1TB for use with a PI.

Thanks

Adrian

-- To Reply : replace "bulleid" with "adrian" - all mail to bulleid is rejected Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.

Reply to
Adrian