Yamaha CDV-1600 LD player

Anybody here know the correct belt sizes or part numbers for a Yamaha CVD-1600 CD/laserdisc player?

I need both belts, one for tray mechanism and other for the laser assembly. One belt melted the other disintegrated.

Worst case, I can measure and guestimate once getting an worthwhile belt order in place (might as well do the tape deck and VCRs at the same time).

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

It's probably a CDV-1600, not CVD.

Go find that, pick out a couple that comes close, make sure the rest of the unit works, then waste time trying to find real belts.

Even with OEM part numbers in hand, you still aren't going to find them.

I never remember seeing belt sizes listed in the service manuals for any player.

So if the originals are that bad, get the Target universal belt kit, find the ones that come the closest, make measurements while fresh then track down a proper source. If they are just loading belts, you can probably leave the rubberbands in and just replace them every few months.

Don't laugh at that Target option, the dime sized ones in the collection work great on those drawer model cd/dvd burners for computers. I got one in my Pioneer burner from 2005 and it's been like 2 years now.

It'll be the best $1.87 you ever spent.

-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Reply to
Bruce Esquibel

Yeah, cdv, or whatever. I was sort of hoping the n cook guy would have the data memorized on this all.

The laser assembly is running with a doubled over skinny rubber band. That's how I determined the unit works otherwise and deserves a proper repair. The tray can be manually operated and the mechanism that ramps the clamp assembly up and down is gear driven and works too.

They'd have a number which at least back in the day could be cross referenced to Russel or somebody else. Some chatter came up here or another group where PRB bought Russel or something like that and they claim to still be in business. I'm sort of curious to see how old the belts they ship out are. Are they just dried up, melted or just staning the yellow plastic back they come in? The whole belt measuring slide rule tool -5% should be fine in the other tape decks.

It's a real bitch to get to the tray belt as most of it's obscured by the front bezel. My spring tools won't even fit in there, will have to bendup paperclips or something.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

This was just too silly to not share as a video

Cydrome Leader

Use a two pencils inside the belt and pull to the side. Measure the distanc e with a ruler and that should give you an estimate of the size. For the t ype of usage, the PRB/Russel belt would be either an SCA or SCQ type. I wo uld guess that the measurement will be around 3. Try either an SCA3.0 or S CQ3.0 Note that the 3.0 in this case would be a circumference measurement.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices

I've had surprisingly good luck replacing these with ordinary rubber bands! I was amazed they actually work, but they seem to do fine. Digi-Key seems to ship a lot of stuff in IC tubes with square cross-section reddish rubber bands holding the plugs in the ends, that are quite similar in size to the belts used in many of these decks.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

In this case this is a loading belt which is not particularly important. For "drive" belts though, a more precise belt is usually required.

Reply to
dansabrservices

The point here is to try as best as I can to identify the "best" belts and replace all the belts and tires in my stuff at once to justify an order of these things.

Years, or decades ago you could pick this stuff up at a counter, one at a time if needed with no issues. It's all internet/mail order now.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I still have a supply of good belts. There aren't too many in this unit. Measure the belts if you can. They are still available from suppliers. Believe it or not there are still a large number of VCRs being used.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices

Try against a soldering iron . You may find they are low grade silicone rubber, will take a lot more temperature than latex rubber and different smell. Not full grade high temp silicone , but dynamically and degradation purposes much better than latex. Price of latex gone up and silicone gone down recently. Its creeping into a lot of areas where latex was previously used for bands

Reply to
N_Cook

True but I'm still wondering if anything is available these days.

It does look like they combined, besides Russells line, they show the EVG and PRB listings, but I'm wondering if that is all nostalga. The web page itself hasn't been updated since 2009 and some of those catalogs are 10+ years old.

Just saying, because it is still listed doesn't equal it being available.

Although it does look like there is a belt market out there, it seems most places specialize in cassette and turntable ones.

I didn't dig down real deep but it looks like MCM, which I used to order belts and wheels by the pound (well, a lot), just have a few general assortments of square and round ones, kits. Guess the days of page after page of flats, rounds and squares are history.

-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Reply to
Bruce Esquibel

The need for many different sizes of belts has gone. There are fewer piece s of equipment that require belts these days. CD and DVD players being the most common now, require only a few sizes as most are standard. Aside fro m older units that some are trying to maintain, there are few new items nee ding belts. There are newer models that use direct geared drives now too.

As time goes on, there will be fewer suppliers, but these belts are still a vailable.

Those of us that still work on the older gear still use them. I stock quit e an assortment because it was easier and cheaper to have the stock. Not a ll services work that way though. The main issue is to keep the belts from deteriorating over time.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices