XT30 alternative for live circuit connect/ disconnects?

I just ran a bunch of wiring using the XT30 and sometimes XT60 connectors for my firm. There are two areas, however, where connecting/ disconnecting needs to be made without turning off power. My manager says the XT connectors aren't made to handle this so what could I use in those areas instead? Thank you.

Reply to
Witherspoon

What's the voltage and current?

RL

Reply to
legg

Depends on the line, but generally 8-12 VDC @ up to 12 A.

Reply to
Witherspoon

Anderson PP15

ASMPR45-1X2-RK polarized pairs.

Digikey or others.

RL

Reply to
legg

Won't work with XT60. Gold plated connectors are made for "dry" loads and cannot be "switched" with current flowing. You'll blow holes in the gold plating and eventually end up with a lump of some oxide that increases the contact resistance. Shove 12A through that, and the connector will get hot. I've never had much long term luck with using sliding connectors contacts in place of an on/off switch. I suggest you look into installing an on/off switch that is rated for 12A DC. I suggest a battery switch: The current rating on the Chinese switches are science fiction. For

12A, I could get something that is advertised to handle at least 100A.

Also, I hope you have a fuse in the circuit.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

think even the powerpoles recommended by someone else should only be used for hot plug/unplug if you specify the silver-plated pins for them, not the standard tin-plated ones

Reply to
Andy Burns