why 60-40 solder?

Ersin Multicore Savbit, 5 core solder. lovely stuff, it has a small percentage of copper added to the alloy to preserve bit life, and still available in the UK.

Ron

Reply to
Ron(UK)

I refer the honourable gentlemen to the following data

Ron

Reply to
Ron(UK)

One of my old Popular Mechanics (maybe it was Popular Science) magazines I read back in the 1960s had an article about how to solder anything.Get a small round wire brush for your electric drill (drill motor) and load the brush up real good with solder.Apply the loaded up with solder wire brush to a piece of wood, plastic, whatever, and you can solder a piece of wire to the whatever.I never tried it out though. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

This is a joke, right? First you're telling us about nails made red-hot by microwaves, now you're telling us how to solder to plastic.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

If it is a joke(s), then I guess the hard back book about the magnetron and my old magnazine I read about soldering anything are jokes.Page 103 in my January 2008 Popular Science magazine has an ad about Chrome Anything.The ad says, Now you can chrome wood, plastic, metal, even ceramic with no special equipment required.Seeing is Believing.Real mirror finish.Get your sample at

or by phone at (323) 581 5200 cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

x ray spex anyone?

Reply to
Ron(UK)

Multicore is now owned by Henkel, and the solder products seem to have been dropped, although solder pastes etc are still produced.

We buy our cored solder in from France.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

But this isn't the same thing.

Chrome and other metals have commonly been applied to plastics. The Polaroid SX-70 is an outstanding example, but hardly the only one. Metal plating is usually done by applying copper layer to the plastic, then electroplating.

Soldering is not plating. Soldering consists of forming an alloy bond between two metals.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

If you wiggle the connection. you have a lot better chance of making a connection with 60-40. First thing I think of.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Well, maybe I'm wrong. One way to find out.

greg

Reply to
GregS

About thirty years ago, I read an article in a motorcycle magazine.The article was about do not solder up wire connections.Article stated that vibrations can make those rigid soldered up connections break loose. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Get a straight bar of lead and a gas torch and try to ''fix'' a rusted out floor belly pan on a 1966 Alfa Romero convertible car. Tell her I Love her. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

So what keeps the connection "connected", if not solder? Are the wires wrapped around a bolt and nut? That isn't very stable. What about wire nuts (which are commonly used in household wiring)?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

huh ????

that solder has 37 % lead in it.!!!! and thats crap , i work in a company that uses exclusively 60-40 solder and we ship weekly 3500 pcbs a week to the eu . where u get your info ?

Reply to
mark krawczuk

When the EU find out, how you get out of jail ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Read this:-

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Actually the importer is on the hook, not the manufacturer...

But, there are exceptions to the rule, I'm sure he fits one of them.

Reply to
PeterD

It is illegal to produce boards with lead, just check the internet on RoHS. It is allowed in military applications and some medical devices as reliability is lower.

Regards, Pieter

Reply to
Pieter

In message , Pieter writes

I think it's perfectly legal to rework boards using lead/tin solder if the boards were originally produced with it and because of that you can still buy led/tin rosin fluxed solder.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

Hmm.. I didn't realize that there were any regulations on leaded solder here in the USA. I just thought we got consumer grade crap that was manufactured for sale in the EU that happens to be ROHS compliant.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy