When to use low ESR in repairs ....

I've just finished repairing a failed Acer AL1912 LCD monitor in which an electro in the main switcher output had pulled the system down. All the electros are 105C and measure higher ESR than I'd like, so they will all be replaced while I'm in there as routine.

There is no indication whether the existing ones were low ESR or standard. Is there any potential issue if I fit low ESR in place of standard, or vice versa?

Reply to
fly on the wall

Generally speaking low ESR capacitors are always the better choice for power supplies as they will run cooler.

John :-#)#

  John\'s Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                     www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Electros in switchers should always be low ESR types.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

If they are in the output of a switcher, it is a reasonable bet that they are low ESR. Replace with low ESR anyway.

Reply to
rebel