What does flashing green/amber on my Viewsonic PT795 mean?

About three weeks ago, my PT795's screen went black, and the LED went from its normal green (signifying full power) to an alternating amber and green, for which the manual has no explanation.

At that time, power cycling cleared the problem, but yesterday it happened again, and this time it's apparently for good.

Symptoms:

1) When turned on, the monitor makes its normal loud sound, but the screen is always black no matter what. 2) When hooked to a working PC, the monitor's LED alternates between amber and green at a half-second internal.

I've eliminated all other variables, such as the PC and cable.

The Viewsonic PT795 is an aperture-grille type, and it's been in use since

1999.

Thanks for any ideas. I've searched online for the service manual or any other hint about what's going on here, but have come up empty.

Reply to
Milhouse Van Houten

Often it means the monitor is in stand by mode. Same problem on two PCs? Might be the video cable.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Standby mode for this monitor is solid yellow, so that's not it.

When troubleshooting, I tried a different cable to a different PC -- same thing, alternating amber and green.

Note also that I can't even get into the monitor's OSD.

Reply to
Milhouse Van Houten

Look at the power supply section, the fact that it cleared up on its own the first time makes me suspect that rather than a short elsewhere loading it down. Could be as simple as a cracked solder joint, might have some bad capacitors.

Reply to
James Sweet

Try a little 'percussive maintenance'.

IOW, whack a couple of times. If you've got a bad solder joint, that will often confirm the problem. It'll start up for some undetermined period of time. While not a definitive diagnosis (it might still have a bad joint, but not come on upon a couple solid blows), it works more often than not. If it does, open it up and try to localize the issue.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

I tried rapping it reasonably hard, but perhaps not hard enough or in the right places. I'll attempt to open it up (hopefully without marring it) and see if anything jumps out at me (hopefully not literally).

Reply to
Milhouse Van Houten

*BELCH*
Reply to