Weird piezo driver

This is a beeper piezo in a Fluke 117 DMM which quite beeping. Scoped the piezo?s pads and... nothing.

An inverter (from the CD4069) is connected across the piezo. Guess I don?t understand anything about driving piezos.

Is this a standard practice? Cheers.

Reply to
DaveC

My Fluke 77, will beep when the battery is low but not low enough to trigger the LCD legend, presumably drift over time

Reply to
N_Cook

Did you mean that "it quit beeping"? If so, you aren't going to hear anything.

The Fluke should be producing a square wave, say 1KHz, across the piezo. The piezo itself looks like a mid-sized capacitor; you won't get any DC resistance reading through it. They are extremely high resistance devices.

If you touch 9v to either side of the piezo, you should hear it click, and click again when you disconnect. The Fluke does that too, but fast.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

You'll get AC drive when you drive one side with a logic signal and the other side with the same signal inverted.

--

-TV
Reply to

If you put an inverter across the piezo you get double the supply voltage drive - push-pull. Not uncommon. Typically you'd drive each side with two paralleled inverters and use another inverter to invert the input to one pair.

The piezo element looks something like a ceramic capacitor electrically. A series capacitor is often used.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

On 16 May 2016, Clifford Heath wrote

Yes, ?quit? beeping.

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

Piezo drivers have a high impedance so they need high voltages. One side of that piezo element is driven with the signal source and the other side is driven with the inverted signal. That doubles the drive voltage so it's loud enough to hear.

--
I will not see posts from astraweb, theremailer, dizum, or google
because they host Usenet flooders.