Valves badged Orange , rebadged what make?

Anyone know? No underlying idents , only 3 years old at most

Reply to
N_Cook

From pcb Enumber, the boards are made in Hong Kong, despite Union flag logo on the overlay and "Made in England" on the chassis. I will assume No-Name Chinese valves unless anyone knows any better

Reply to
N_Cook

"Nutcase Kook"

** Orange Amps do not use or recommend any particular brand of valve.

But you would be a fool to use anything less that the best EL84s and EL34s you can get - cos those amps are sooooooo tough on output valves.

Svetlana and JJ are the ones to look at with EH down the list somewhat.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I've been buying and fitting JJ Tesla valves exclusively for the last 5 years or so. I bought a whole bunch straight from the factory (EL34, EL84,

6L6, ECC83 - not tried any JJ6550's, usually get Svetlanas as required).

I can't remember seeing any amps come back with a failed JJ Tube I fitted. When I do see an amp back I recheck the bias current and they are always still closely matched. They are priced well towards the cheaper end of the quality tube market.

(Last Orange amp I had, a Rockverb 50, I replaced 4 x 6V6 with JJ's, haven't seen it since)

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

EL34s

EL84,

haven't

I take it from that , that the Orange amp reputation as valve-eaters is due to whether Chinese or whatever Orange re-badged valves they use, for reliability replace with good named brand ones at the first opportunity.

Reply to
N_Cook

Dunno about the Orange valve eaters, but cheap junk tubes break like any other cheap junk. I don't fit cheap junk cos I don't want the amps coming back, having failed halfway though a gig, and being accused of fitting cheap junk!

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Here's an interesting thing - I was told by Marshall that quite a few years ago they tried using JJ Tesla EL34's on their production line. They say that they had so many problems with returned amps that they reverted back to their Svetlanas. (These are the JJ tubes that have an additional small logo to current production)

I suspect JJ sorted out what might have been a problem in the early days, just a guess really as I have no data, unless of course there was some other business type of dispute.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

I've heard that EH stands up well. I'm not a Svetlana fan. Have had limited success with JJs. Best for my concern would be some NOS Mullards or RCA.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to

. Best for my concern would be some NOS Mullards

Yeah well, we could all say that.

Doesn't help.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Sorry, that post reads a little curt, but for example:

Gareth Magennis

Blimey indeed. However, I know a hifi nutter who wouldn't blink at that price, if he thought that they were going to improve one of his many amplifiers - to his ears at least ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

PAIR-/310210519111? pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item4839fce047Blimey.Gareth.

I know a few that wouldn't bat an eyelash at that price.

If all my posts don't help everyone, tough s**te.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to
Meat Plow

While at it with Orange amps. Nasty metallic buzz like mains powered shaver/ engraver/ poodle clippers. Varying level of noise with amount of load. Mains Tx central bar of an outer "E" lamination loose. Simple enough to deal with once you know the cause. Remove the matching "I" to drible lacquer both sides. The wiring bobbin is loose within the iron laminations block, so plenty of space to allow a lamination to break away. Will also push some silicone rubber sheet in there to avoid re-occurance hopefully.

Reply to
N_Cook

er/

eal

oth

They sound like absolute garbage. Were Orange amps ever any good?

Reply to
spamtrap1888

shaver/

deal

both

They sound like absolute garbage. Were Orange amps ever any good?

+++++

They must be esceedingly good because they are exceedingly expensive. Makes you wonder what the difference is , in Sterling terms, the money going out to China for making the things compared to the UK selling price.

Reply to
N_Cook

shaver/

deal

both

They sound like absolute garbage. Were Orange amps ever any good?

++++

The other notorious Orange problem - intermittant loss of one channel, whether by sw on front or footswitch. Although they use latching 1/4 inch spade connectors, just because they will not dislodge, does not necessarily mean they retain electrical connection.

Reply to
N_Cook

You could experiment to see if any of them could really tell the difference in a properly controlled double blind test.

I am highly suspicious of any opinions regarding "sound quality" obtained otherwise.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

You left out durability factor.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to
Meat Plow

The owner had lived with the "shaver" noise for months,but had gradually got worse. Masked by the demand effect, no music - light buzz, high music volume - loud buzz. Absolutely quiet transformer now. Just hope the other end "E" does not play up as that would require removing the Tx and its wiring from the chassis. It is now tight up against the bobbin now so not too likely .

Reply to
N_Cook