Unsticking Two Electrical Conduits?

Is there some way to to separate two PVC condcuits that are glued together? One is stuck vertically into the ground, and the coupler is about 8" above ground. Heating didn't quite work. The upper conduit is about 3" long. The diameters of the conduits are 1.5".

Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

"It is important to realize that in physics today, we have no knowledge of what energy is ... It is an abstract thing ..." -- Richard Feynman

--
                     Web Page:
Reply to

Yes, Watson, there *IS* a way to separate those conduits. Run, don't walk, to your nearest hardware store and buy the cheapest hacksaw they haven and return forthwith to the conduit location. Proceed to saw the conduit through with the hacksaw, being *VERY* careful not to disturb the contents of the conduit, particularly if they are energized. Seriously... PVC conduit is glued with a solvent glue, which means that the original two pieces of conduit are now effectively and hopelessly welded together. The usual means of separating the conduit is by sawing it apart. If you want to mate them back together after you've worked your magic on the contents, just make sure that you get a coupler of the same size and material while you're at the hardware store. And a length of conduit to reconnect the ends. And a small can of PVC cement. Solvent cleaner is highly recommended, but not absolutely necessary if the conduit surfaces are clean.

Cheers!!!

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.
Reply to
DaveM

If they are glued together, then (unless it was done poorly) it is pernament!

Reply to
PeterD

Not really, that glue welds the plastic. You have to cut it off to separate it.

Reply to
James Sweet

Fortunately, my local h/w store had a conduit magic wand that would do the trick. However, they were out of stock. Apparently, some guy who was buying something called the London Bridge had bought them.

With a little more thinking and strategizing, I found a place to cut that got me around the problem. However, while I was struggling with a way to separate them, I did make progress with heat and peeling one pipe away from the other. Just too awkward to continue.

However, I ran >> Is there some way to to separate two PVC condcuits that are glued together?

the

Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

"It is important to realize that in physics today, we have no knowledge of what energy is ... It is an abstract thing ..." -- Richard Feynman

--
                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. Watson

You need to use a few inches of conduit to connect them. Be aware that there is a code limit on the total 'degrees of bending' in a given run - you may need an elbow with a screw cover. You also may find it an SOB to pull through too many bends.

--
.
Reply to

Not a lubricant, the glue softens the surface of the conduit and coupling. The fit is deliberately made tight because of this effect.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Peters