TV picture vertical height adjustment

Thanks for that, Arfa! In the old days you used to just turn a knob.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Hi,

my TV is really not very good, but I don't watch it much apart from the BBC

24Hr News.

I can't find any way to adjust the vertical height back to where it should be, which is a bit of a pain because it means the captions and current time are obscured. I've had the back off but still can't find any adjustments.

It is a Beko 28416ND.

How is the vertical height typically adjusted on such a set?

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

I take it that is a CRT model ? Most adjustments disappeared years ago, and are now done in software, and stored in an EEPROM. There is usually an engineering mode, accessed by a 'secret' series of button pushes, to get at the non-user adjustments. I'll ask my mate in a few minutes when his shop opens, if he knows that model, and how to get at the adjustments. I assume that the picture is otherwise vertically linear, and you're not actually chasing a 'problem' with the vertical output stage ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Yep, its a CRT widescreen. Picture is otherwise fine and undistorted. It could be that the edges are also missing, i.e. the whole picture is "zoomed in". No easy way of telling.

Thanks Arfa!

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

OK. I've just asked him, and he said that many of the Beko models 'officially' require a proper service remote - which is like 80 quid's worth .... However, he also said that there is usually a workaround, and the last one he had in a year or so ago, was able to be done using a remote that outputted Philips RC6 code (I thought after that this might be a slip of the tongue, and he meant RC5 code). He said that part of the button sequence was, as he recalled, "contrast +" -- "contrast -", so he spent a couple of hours hunting through all his junk until he found a universal handset old enough to have these discrete buttons on it (most sets for a long time have just had "+" and "-" buttons to adjust brightness, contrast etc via menu selections).

Anyway, he said that it did work, and he was able to access the service menu, and make the adjustments needed. He found the actual button sequence in a 'net forum.

Not too definitive, I'm afraid, but hope it's of at least some help.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Since I watch a lot of 4:3 broadcasts in Zoom mode, which fills my 16:9 widescreen without distortion by clipping the top and bottom, I have to ask: is your aspect ratio setting correct? Watching (American) football, I have to cycle back to Normal mode to check the bottom-of-the-picture score banner.

Reply to
Smitty Two

Yes it is. 16:9 setting shows the most of the picture, which is a widescreen transmission (In the UK most transmissions are Widescreen). Zoom and Letterbox settings chop off even more stuff. I'd prefer to see.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

When I was a spotty faced (proper 5 year !) 'prentice nearly 40 years ago, those knobs even stuck out the TV's rear cover ... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

What else would you expect from a Raider fan?

Reply to
Curtis Brown

Of course she would. After all, her and her types endorse abuse of small children.

Go Texans!

Reply to
Curtis Brown