Tutorial - how to locate the basic test points of an unfamiliar HDD PCB

This tutorial in intended to show how one may determine the test points for the onboard DC-DC converters, spindle motor, voice coil motor (VCM), and preamp supply rails of an unfamiliar HDD PCB. We also identify any protection devices. I have done as much as possible in the absence of power in order to simulate a non-functioning PCB.

Tutorial - locating the basic test points of an unfamiliar HDD PCB:

The above is a work in progress. I expect that the completed work will eventually be moved to ...

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar